November 12, 2007, Utrecht, The Netherlands --- In sharp contrast to the intense politically-charged environmentin the Philippines, overseas Filipinos were pleasantly surprised by Governor Oscar Moreno's dynamic response to a call for action for matching funds in Misamis Oriental's development projects spearheaded by local and overseas Filipino organizational partners. During his keynote speech at the Diaspora Convergence Conference in Amsterdam on November 2, 2007, Governor Moreno emphasized that migrants could do better by pushing the right buttons andpartnering with government and local social cause-oriented, volunteer-based organizations ( a.k.a. civil society). He also promised to champion development partnerships with overseas Filipino groups among his fellow governors, especially those in Northern Mindanao.
UNO POR UNO, MORENO STYLE
The signing of a Memorandum of Understanding between Governor Moreno and Habagat Foundation, Damayan Association in the Netherlands, BisDak Network Netherlands, and the newly-formed Overseas Filipino Caucus for Sustainable Development celebrated this groundbreaking "matching peso for peso" funding mechanism for agreed-upon development projects. Historically, European Filipinos' initiatives have been focused on Philippine micro projects with short-term deadlines and deliverables, oftentimes plagued with mismanagement, under-implementation, and lack of local officials' support and collaboration. The matching fund program, dubbed "Uno por Uno, Moreno style," heralds the local government's cooperation and "thinking outside the box" mindsetby creatively mobilizing the development potential of migration. Provinces that employ such agreements, the partnering organizations concur, tend to speed up economic growth due to the massivepower and influenceof migrant investments.
DIASPORA CONVERGENCE CONFERENCE HIGHLIGHTS
The migrant-focused conference was attended by 100 active advocates from the Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Middle East, the USA, and the Philippines. The proposals that emerged from this gathering emphasized a combined economic, political, and socio-cultural action agenda whichallow do-able models such as the "Uno por Uno, Moreno style" matching fund program to flourish. Twenty Filipino migrant experts and leaders, who had metin Utrecht after participating ina Filipiniana celebration honoring the Filipino seafarersin Rotterdam earlier that week, pointed out the stress on the existing infrastructure and resources of social advocates and care-givers due to the sudden growth of migration brought about by the much delayed reunification policies of European countries.
Actively engaging the Filipino diaspora, Philippine Ambassador Romeo Arguelles and Geneva-based Minister Gary Domingo of the Permanent Mission of the Philippines to the United Nations indicated their readiness to closely collaborate with the conference's convenors, specifically in preparation for the Global Forum on Migration and Development in October, 2008. Meanwhile, Drs. Jan Henneman of the Dutch Foreign Affairs Ministry encouraged the conference participants to play the bridging role that migrants play in relation to their home and host country. Leila Rispens-Noel, a representative from Oxfam-Novib, a foundation based in The Netherlands, also highlighted the model role that Filipino migrants play for other diaspora groups, especially those coming from Africa. She called on Filipino leaders to resolve their internal conflicts and work together in seeking common ground that will define a fresh, collaborative approach to the ongoing migration and development dilemma.
A series of events organized by diverse groups, leading to the Global Forum in Migration and Development in 2008, are expected to revive the activism and engagement that Overseas Filipino organizations displayed during the 2001-2002 campaigns for the OAV (overseas absentee vote) and dual citizenship. The conference also symbolized the coming together of Overseas Filipino leaders from three global regions -- Middle East & Asia, Europe, and North America - with an agreement to support each others' development. The conference also recognized the changing cultural landscape in Europe, such as the need to address the second generation's problems, gender issues, and the development of emerging community leaders. The need to dialogue with faith-based organizations and to engage them in common development efforts was also put on the agenda.
The diaspora convergence conference was immediately followed by Filipinas Magazine's Lorna Lardizabal Dietz's book launching ofFilomenita "NitNit" Mongaya-Hoegsholm's anthology entitled "In De Olde Worlde: Views of Filipino Migrants in Europe." Certificates of Appreciation were also given to outstanding Euro-Filipinos in The Netherlands: three Ph.D. graduates for their ground-breaking research, Dr. Rommel Bacabac, Dr. Jonathan Palero, and Dr. Arni Sicam;Sheryl Lyn Paderes-Baas, Miss Nederland 2006, for her humanitarian projects; Flora Abangan-Schuyt, for engaging in a socially-responsible business;Ricky Tuazon, for promoting Filipino dance and performance arts; Irma Galias, for promoting Filipino music and songs; and Ms. Leila Rispens-Noel, for promoting the role of the diaspora in development work.
POST-CONFERENCE ACTIVITIES
The momentum of the migrant-focused conference, fueled by the participants' enthusiasm, continued with post-conference activities such as networking and planning sessions. Governor Moreno, who met with Mindanao constituents, was joined by the Caucus to brainstorm on setting up a European-based development fund that could enable small business enterprises to thrive in the rural areas. Philippine Congressman Mujiv Hataman, of AMIN or Anak Mindanao, joined the discussions and committed to explore the possibilities of mobilizing countryside development funds of his fellow representatives in Congress for the diaspora conference's initiatives.
Governor Moreno, during a pre-departure conversation at Schiphol Airport, was asked his opinion about his visit to the Netherlands. He flashed that enigmatic Moreno smile and replied, "Others may have all the publicity and propaganda, but your conference convinced me that there is much that migrants like you could do. I hope other groups could do the same."
50 Kommentare:
These are very good activities, Jack. Glad to know na kusog gihapon ang pagpakabana sa mga pinoy diha sa Europe.
kahit dos-for-dos pa yan...as long as the money goes that project, much better if not...its bitter....lolz
interesting initiative, jack.
why dont you featurize this one for Lalaine's Illustrado magazine?
thanks, Dave, Mark, and Danny for the comments. I'm short in time now-- so I'll keep my responses short- ah, the stress of living in Europe.... I don't know about Lalaine's mag, but I'll ask her, thanks.
this is a really good story. its worth publishing.
definitely a good move dave..salut' mon ami! great job indeed!
We're trying our best, Danny!
Actually, the model called leveraging is copied from Mexico. There they have Uno por 3. For every peso raised by the Mexicans working in the US the Mexican governments (federal, state, and communal) match them. In some areas banks and financial institutions are joining in. This is the first time that we'll try this in the Philippines. Wish us luck!
Maybe we can have it also published in your own newspaper, Dave? We certainly need 'local' exposure.
Thanks, Carolyn! Maybe we'll pass the word around in the US. There are more Filipinos there!
you can definitely link our organizations and maybe we can hook more people up. Ill tell my organization here if you can pm or email me the info.
I thought this was a news article but I realized that you were also a part of this movement. Very good start Jack and more power to all of you : ) Hinaot nga mo-lambo ang inyong mga serbisyo.
Thanks, Janjan! I keep you posted. We might need your help as lawyer and as concerned citizen someday :-)
Of course, I'll do Carolyn. I'll tell our US contacts about you. They're based in the Bay area. I don't know if they're also operating in the East Coast. You PM me your e-mail addy and I'll forward it to our US contact who happens to be my cousin from Cebu- Lorna Lardizabal Dietz in San Francisco (she's with Filipinas magazine, among others). Who knows we'll gonna meet in any of those forums coming in the next few months? It will be a great day then, di ba?
wow, great job jack! salut!
it's only the beginning, Pat! I hope we can sustain this very good start. thanks.
gotcha jack! i pm'ed you my email addy already! am going to see our president this coming weekend will present the matter to him and to those present in the meeting...am excited! Waaaahh it is indeed!!!!
Jack:
The atmosphere in Europe is probably best suited for that project you are involved with right now. I'm not sure if it works here in the U.S. but based on my experience with Filipino organizations here, they play politics like we do back home. I don't want to go into details but I can write a book about it. I have a suggestion for you though, to get European politicians involved more with your provincial projects. You can designate a sister city or town and form a partnership with a European town or city, it would go along way as far as tourism, companies wanting to invest there, etc. to prosper for both sister cities or towns. In the U.S., Governors and City Officials are traveling around the world forming partnerships. We want big business to get involved and assist us with the infrastructure. In my state of Alabama, we formed partnerships with Korean, Japanese, and German auto companies here. Not only we make Japanese cars here, we also export them in the European markets.
Jack:
The atmosphere in Europe is probably best suited for that project you are involved with right now. I'm not sure if it works here in the U.S. but based on my experience with Filipino organizations here, they play politics like we do back home. I don't want to go into details but I can write a book about it. I have a suggestion for you though, to get European politicians involved more with your provincial projects. You can designate a sister city or town and form a partnership with a European town or city, it would go along way as far as tourism, companies wanting to invest there, etc. to prosper for both sister cities or towns. In the U.S., Governors and City Officials are traveling around the world forming partnerships. We want big business to get involved and assist us with the infrastructure. In my state of Alabama, we formed partnerships with Korean, Japanese, and German auto companies here. Not only we make Japanese cars here, we also export them in the European markets.
this is an interesting comment, Mark. Do you know that the model of 'Pesor por Peso' came from the Mexicans in the US? But in their case it is not only Peso por Peso it is Uno por 3. For every one peso the migrants raise for projects back home, the Mexican government (from the communes to the Federal Gov't) matches it. Now even Western Union (yes, the very Western Union) is joining the program, so it is now called "Uno por Cuatro".
not all filipino organizations scoobee..maybe in your state but not here in New York..or probably there is but you cannot just end it right there because of how some organizations play politics, let them do what they do and start with your own, that's moving forward.
I agree with you that filipino organizations in the U.S. should move forward but I want you to know what obstacles these organizations face in our communities today. I want to enlighten you a little bit about what a San Diego State graduate came up with his thesis. Perhaps we can bridge the gap why this is so. Let us break down the myth why Filipinos are stereotyped as the "Invisible Minority in the U.S. The website address is:
http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~aps1/graphics/Thesis_Llora.pdf
Thanks, Mark! I spare time to read this 120 plus tome. The big question is: if the Mexicans are able to unite to develop their country, why can't Filipinos?
Jack, beyond the passionate activism of the participants, the speeches, the papers, the slogans and placards: are the following in place or being planned for implementation?
1. 100% transparency, and how?
2. Check and control mechanisms
3. Audit mechanisms
4. Inventory mechanisms
5. Escrow institutions
6. Mechanisms to give any member the means to check the flow of the money and how it is being used.
7. A system to give a vote on what projects and where the money is used.
8. Money allocation systems.
9. Insurance for the whole undertaking.
10. Project progress evaluation, reporting and publishing mechanisms.
11. Mechanisms to ensure that the choice of contractors are not based on nepotism or corruption.
12. Mechanism that enable the retraction of funds once anomalies surface.
!3. Accountabilities of people involved in managing the funds.
14. Countercheck mechanisms to prevent fraudulent reporting.
The idea that we give them the money just because they promised to match it doesn't work for me. The germans have this saying "Trust is good but check/control is better".
The governor should convince that what he is saying is not a BAIT. If the governor is very certain that the money will not be misallocated, he should be willing to place an equal amount of his personal money on an "escrow" abroad as a form of insurance. With the condition that when the donated money is misallocated or the projects did not meet the expected results, the money on escrow will go to the donors.
I mean "his personal money" not the filipino taxpayers' money as escrow fund.
Money does not grow on trees whether it is abroad or in the philippines. Why should the migrants suddenly become easy with their hard earned money?
It is similar to the question: why are the germans more disciplined than the filipinos?
Mexicans are not Filipinos. Mexico is not Philippines.
Jack:
It is hard to pinpoint what the problem with our Filipino brothers and sisters. I'm stabbing in the dark for an answer. In my opinion, we have cultural and language barriers across the archipelago. Another thing, Mexicans don't have much of a problem with their common language. On the other hand, we have a huge problem communicating with each other in English/Tagalog or Taglish - Slang or Formal. I did not mention about social class differentiation. That is another topic altogether.
In the U.S. I see Mexicans don't mind getting dirty and tackle any job or project. I know because I hired them to replace my roof in about 8 hours non-stop. There were 12 Mexicans removing shingles and nailing new shingles in unison. It was a beautiful thing to watch them work. I sensed there is unity to work together as a team. Another illustration that Mexicans are a force to be reckon with when they had the demonstration about illegal immigration in the U.S. They were united to march in front of city halls in all the biggest metropolitan areas even though they were all illegal aliens in this country. They were not afraid to confront the White establishment. The U.S. Congress were nervous during the demonstration because they, too, employed Mexicans to do the dirty work in their homes. Can you see us doing the same thing and voicing our rights across the U.S?
The only explanation I can think off why Mexicans are successful is that they came from the poorest cities and towns in Mexico and crossed the border in droves as farmer, laborers, and skilled workers. I have been to Mexico and it is rare to see paved roads in their highways. The Mexicans can see progress if they help their towns and cities. Filipinos were lucky because the Spanish and Americans built most of our highways. We sometimes struggle to maintain it.
Jack: Bong is right about having a system in placed to tackle your projects. The things he mentioned is called the ISO 14001 or the Environmental Management System (EMS) which is I'm doing right now. You can read more about it in Google. Over 150 countries are currently participating with EMS. The key for implementation is the Deming's principle of Plan, Do, Check, Act.
A non-political management group or organization should be given the task to manage the whole thing. Never let a political group do nor manage the funds. Political groups are never impartial and they have their own bunch of "background" agendas. Never give the money to the governor. He is a politician and politicians are not managers.
I dare suggest that one way to unite them is to show to them that when they do a certain thing together, each one of them will benefit from the results financially. That is how successful corporations operate. Business people are fond of using the word "bottomline".
If you don't have a non-political management for this, the whole effort will become just one of those numerous "fund raising" campaigns designed to channel/funnel funds to so called "projects" in the Philippines.
When you lose control of the money, you lose the money. When there is no accountability, people dont behave the way they are supposed to.
Let us not repeat the same mistakes over and over again.
Thanks for the list, Bong! We're on the same page on this. I went to the conference with my eyes and ears wide open. I was there as invited guest and I didn't know most of the organizers. So I asked many of the same questions you raised. And to tell you the truth, many of my questions are not yet answered. But my gut feel is, that the people I deal with are also not anymore the pure 'bleeding heart' nor the ideological type. This whole thing is a work in progress and more people like you and Mark keep on raising critical questions the more it will be to the group's advantage. One thing, I found good in the conference was the policy of the convenors on full disclosure. Now, how is that transparency thing will look like in the field, that's something we have still to operationalize. But you bet we're working on that.
Yes, in Europe it is called EMAS or the Eco Mgt. and Audit Schemes. I've done Project Management training before so I'm not totally ignorant about ISO stuff, but still I would have to familiarize myself with this new EMAS system (although, as far as I can see, aside from the so-called environment thing, I see nothing new in it). It will be great if we can share some kind of 'transatlantic' experience on this, Mark :-)
I live in Europe so I have only very limited knowledge about/contact to the Mexicans. But a colleague of mine who visited the 'uno por cuatro' project in Mexico told me this story: she told her Mexican host that such project would never be duplicated in the country because our politicians are very corrupt. Her host smiled and answered her: what do you think about our own political elite, saints? The point is we should start somewhere and I agree with Bong we have to do it this time having learned the lessons in the past. Now, you and Bong, join us!
In Addition to transparency (act), theres already an NGO in Phils., doing cooperation to organizers of that coference to implement that.
Example,. Damayan had won €20.000.,on micro credit project contest for a market in a baryo near Cagayan de Oro, the local officials matched that amount with more than a hectare of land,where market is built .the officers of the market can held office on the municipal hall. The said market is now running since Aug.2007,.but due to the guidedance of that NGO with having close coordination on Org. here in Europe, false expectations on both benificiaries and financiers were eased.
Women who are running the market is having a clear vision( we hope) on the running capital, and transparency.,
I knew the group,I worked with them before, and trust me their financial statements is open to all .
Its not a financed or funded organization but its always having ideas how to sustain a project.
Hey Jack the waterfall,
You've got a lively discussion going... Kudo's .... I am sure both those who feel passionately inspired and even those who are cynical about our chances to really implement these initiatives, secretly pray that we do succeed. I would tend to agree with some of those who suggest caution, knowing that we still need to flesh out the details of this agreement. We are actually trying to set up a positive model and would like to be extra careful about making it really work. After all, we know our strategic handicap as absentee investors. Kaya, we have really asked the help of groups there to advise us on the terms of "endearment" for as your muliplty buddies say... migrant money is not that easily earned... We await their advice and would share with any of those interested groups. For now, the idea is simplyh to form a joint project committee where migrant, government and local partners are represented.
Allow me to say... To be careful does not mean we do not walk, or run, or live.
thanks for sharing your experience in Holland, Tina. With your help, we should really try to organize the same in Germany!
Indeed, it was very inspiring to meet your friends in Amsterdam, Tina!
Amen to this, Co. And I'm surprised to meet a lot of like-minded Pinoy migrants here in Multiply. Do you hear me calling, Bong and Mark?
Jack:
Sign me up. I would like to help you on your project. Let us find out what is already working in the provincial government and do a gap assessment. Since you have signed a Memorandum of Understand (MOU) with the Government, What are your long goals and objectives in your partnership? You have to include the EMAS somewhere in the MOU. This will be a long and tedious process but it will be worth it. I think it is best to work outside this webpage. My email address is: mmsubido@yahoo.com.
Yiheey! Thanks, Mark. I'm sure we need your expertise, critique, and your good heart to help out. I'll send you an e-Mail pronto.
I'm delighted to hear this kind of optimism Jack. Indeed there were lapses in handling dev projects in the past, but i think recent dev projects here are geared toward instituting corrections not to repeat the same mistakes. I know a little about it as spectator of dev work here, but i heard micro finance projects are more popular now than projects that are dole out in nature. I heard a friend who is in dev work that the major problem in handling micro finance projects is our own culture and mindset of beneficiaries who would opt for dole out rather than strive to become self reliant.
I hope those theories and arguments above will not end up in blogs.
well, there's still a long way to go. But it was heartening to hear that there are now also plenty of social enterprises (yes, like cooperatives, micro-finance etc) sprouting all over the country to meet the challenge of developing our country. All we have to do for the moment is to know who and where they are, make some risk analysis of their ventures, link up with them and match them with those countless home town associations, funding agencies, and eventually capital fonds abroad for possible investments in their enterprises/projects. It's tough work but you know I'm confident that if we could only tap the expertise of Pinoys, like Mark and sooo many others scattered around the globe, and set-up with a functioning control mechanism at home (hear, hear Bong!), then the task would be a lot easier. But you're right we also have to tackle this "cultural" thing, this very Pinoy tendency to pull everyone who's succeeding down and vice versa for those successful to forget the people who helped them be there. (That's why the conference in Holland made it a point to honor Filipinos there who made good in their careers and businesses. and they are, happily, among the successful Pinoys in Europe who like to give back now something for the homeland.)
Hi, Jack and Carolyn! I feel finally much better after almost three weeks of travelling (Washington DC, The Netherlands, Chicago, San Francisco --- home to me!) and helping out with our NaFFAA Northern California regional summit last Nov. 10. My email address is radiantview@gmail.com or l.dietz@filipinasmag.com (among other email addresses). My report on The Netherlands is found in one of the websites I moderate, http://NaFFAAR8.com. Please feel free to read my own report at http://naffaar8.com/two-members-from-naffaa-r8-represent-usa-at-filipino-experts-meeting-in-utrecht-the-netherlands/. Once I get over this Thanksgiving weekend, let's get in touch with each other, ok? Much regards, Lorna Dietz www.RadiantView.com
Thanks, Lorna! Mark, I hope you'll keep in contact with Lorna's group, too, for possible coordination in the future.
thank you Lorna!!! will definitely keep in touch with you! Looking forward to touch base with you soon! Best regards, Caroline
Speaking of making it easier, you can suggest to the group that they should analyze what parts of the project are already available and proven from other entities. They should avail of these and just create the missing parts. My point here is: avoid reinventing the wheel.
One of the "wheels" that is already invented is this: www.kiva.org. What is missing from the philippine vantage point is the establishment of local entities to manage the funds.
If those groups in the Netherlands are really into helping the Philippines to develop, it should not matter to them whether they are able to organize a large mass of migrants or not. A few professional and skilled individuals will do.
However, if they are into organizing a massive group and focus on meetings, conferences, "educational campaigns", mobilizing, etc. whatever, then it is obvious that there is another agenda "behind the curtains".
It is of paramount importance to make it clear to everybody involved that it is not a dole out and the borrowers have legal obligations to return the funds as agreed. Also, it must be clear that there will be legal repercussions for breaching contracts or agreements.
If they dont agree with that in the beginning then they shouldnt get the funding. It only shows that they are not the right persons for the undertaking.
Kommentar veröffentlichen