über Politik, Kultur und den Alltag eines Ausländers in Deutschland
Freitag, 1. Februar 2008
'Sinulog' in Switzerland
The Filipino community in Switzerland celebrated their own version of 'Sinulog' last January 26 near Zurich, attended by about 600 guests, coming from the different parts of Switzerland and neighboring Germany.
it was Greg. And I'm asking why many Pinoys here still would go home for Sinulog when they can also do that here now in Europe (tongue-in-cheek)? Btw, the bigger Sinulogs were actually in Rome and in Antwerpt. There they were really dancing on the streets, here it was only in a Multi-purpose Hall in a village near Zurich.
Trust in the penchant of Filipinos abroad in observing our fiestas and festivals... Looks like a nice occasion, Jack... All had fun.. And you traveled to Switzerland just to attend this.. Mura ka'g namista sa pikas lungsod dah..hehhe pinoy gyud... haha
pastilan, pagkatinuod gyud aning imong obserbasyon, dan! Mora ko'g Bol-anong namistahay...LOL But, you know, Zurich is just 3 hours away from us by car. So no big deal really going there...
nope, Xmas is always a hectic time for us: all those family visits, gift-buying, baking of cookies, etc. And then I was supposed to do some work in 'Bonn which I prepared for but went pffft. And you, how is the new work going?
What is this festival, Jack? First time I hear about it. It seems to be partly (mainly?) religious, but does it also mark your first encounter with Europeans?
yes, Ulla, it's a festival honoring the Sto. Nino -- much like the Infant Jesus of Prague- the patron saint of the Catholics in the central Philippine island of Cebu. Legend has it that Magellan gave to the Queen of Cebu this statue of Sto. Nino. The feast which is traditionally falls on every 3rd Sunday of January is usually celebrated with a lot of fanfare just like the Carneval in Cologne.
To tell you the truth, Ulla, it was my first ever. I haven't attended one n the Philippines even though my father's family come from the island of Cebu which started it. I actually went to Zurich to meet some people and, well, it was the best time to meet them, indeed.
If you read well my caption, I said the "Phil. Amb. to Switzerland". Yes, my dear ML, Frau Falcon is now assigned in Bern and not anymore in Berlin... We took the chance to exchange few notes during Sinulog :-)
no problem...might be in Rome next week for a short visit...BTW...will call you regarding our presentation. Have to leave for another IWD activity though here in Cologne on that date. Ciao!
Who was St. Nino, and why is he so important to the Pinoy (national saint?)? The name must be short for something. Some of these look as if he were a bishop.
ah, you really come from a Protestant country, Ulla! "Sto. Nino" is Spanish for "Holy Child"- a very popular icon among Catholics all over the world. I don't think though that Sto. Nino is our "national saint", if you can put it that way. I think the honour goes to his mother, Maria...
But you experienced it, at least, once. Me, I was trying to avoid it because of all those devotees invading Cebu. I always made sure I wouldn't find myself in Cebu during those riotous Sinulog days.
I know heaps of saints, actually - their chronicles too. But Spanish names, no. I recognize San Iago, but I always forget who San Diego is. So Sto Nino is Jesus as child, but apparently also in his aspect of king?
Is that so? I grew up in a catholic country, in a conservative catholic family, so I knew a lot about saints and their works but now that I'm in Europe I find it difficult at times to identify which is which in German. For instance Santiago is St. James in English and in German it is Jacob, which I often mixed-up with the other biblical Jacob, son of Abraham. And so on...
I read those chronicles on my own when I was in my twenties, they are necessary when one wants to understand iconography. German (and Danish) follow the Greek/Latin form of the name, usually - easy for me. I know them in English and French (and recognize most in Italian), but Spanish was a language as non-studied as Dutch in my time. It has changed since, but I still only know what I've picked up from westerns and Hemingway. :-)
Is Hemingway on the Index? I know Joyce is (Finnegan's Wake), but I don't think he's using Spanish.
Iconography simply means the symbols and attributes by which the saints are identified on church paintings, in the Orthodox church icons, and in other art. They are much easier to remember when you know the stories. Just a part of my interest in art.
No, I don't think Hemingway was banned by Vatican censors, Ulla. I quickly checked the Wiki for that buy I haven't found his name in the list (surprise, surprise a lot of French authors were listed there!). Iconography seems to be also an exciting field for me. I remember arguing with our parish priest here (he comes from Uganda) about how Catholic symbols like lamb, bread and wine, etc. are actually alien to our culture. Of course, he was aghast when I suggested to replace them with carabao, sweet potato and tuba (coconut wine) to make them really our own...
well, I wonder if you're a Catholic, Naomy. But even if you are but one who doesn't come from the island of Cebu, you wouldn't make much sense of this celebration, the religious part that is. Culturally, you can say it is much like Fasching in Rhineland with plenty of street revelry etc. EXCEPT that we don't have the sharp social criticism that goes with Fasching.
hahahaaha! mao jud! on another note, i was surprised when we went on our european tour years ago that there are so many chinese restaurants tucked away in some hidden little streets. i thought i would sample french cuisine or dutch or belgian. nooooo! nothing like that. we were still taken to somewhere chinese where we fought over who gets the most of the taba nga baboy with soy sauce! hahahaha!
hahaha you say me latin lover but you with excuse of pic hugs beautiful girls hehehehe maybe i am the latin but you are the lover :-p :-p :-p :-))...joke
sorry for this delayed reply, sylvia! Got busy with a lot of things... Next time you come to Europe, include my place in your list and I'll show you the vineyards and the wine pubs so you won't get the impression that Germany's sidestreets are dominated by cheap chinese restos :-)
73 Kommentare:
How do you say Pit Senyor in German, Jack? :)
Hahaha... Janjan! You are very fast. Well, most of them are Cebuanos, so they just also say "pit senyor!
At any rate, you look like you all had fun.
fun and delicious Pinoy food we had. They even had lechon! (not as delicious though like the one back home :-(
that sounds fun to celebrate festival just like the way it is back home.
it was Greg. And I'm asking why many Pinoys here still would go home for Sinulog when they can also do that here now in Europe (tongue-in-cheek)? Btw, the bigger Sinulogs were actually in Rome and in Antwerpt. There they were really dancing on the streets, here it was only in a Multi-purpose Hall in a village near Zurich.
Trust in the penchant of Filipinos abroad in observing our fiestas and festivals... Looks like a nice occasion, Jack... All had fun.. And you traveled to Switzerland just to attend this.. Mura ka'g namista sa pikas lungsod dah..hehhe pinoy gyud... haha
pastilan, pagkatinuod gyud aning imong obserbasyon, dan! Mora ko'g Bol-anong namistahay...LOL But, you know, Zurich is just 3 hours away from us by car. So no big deal really going there...
you should have covered yourself with charcoal Jack, para realistic.
ah, well, I don't need to wear a maskara, 'day! I'm already wearing one... hahaha!
hey, sarap ng buhay mo, jack. going around europe!
it was my first time to cross the Swiss-German border, believe me...
kaya pala you were absent for a time in multiply. hehe!
nope, Xmas is always a hectic time for us: all those family visits, gift-buying, baking of cookies, etc. And then I was supposed to do some work in 'Bonn which I prepared for but went pffft. And you, how is the new work going?
What is this festival, Jack? First time I hear about it. It seems to be partly (mainly?) religious, but does it also mark your first encounter with Europeans?
yes, Ulla, it's a festival honoring the Sto. Nino -- much like the Infant Jesus of Prague- the patron saint of the Catholics in the central Philippine island of Cebu. Legend has it that Magellan gave to the Queen of Cebu this statue of Sto. Nino. The feast which is traditionally falls on every 3rd Sunday of January is usually celebrated with a lot of fanfare just like the Carneval in Cologne.
Jack, I also dreamt having this suit, but now I realize Iam more happy with my faded jeans,.lol.
what? Are you pulling my leg, Tina? You, of all people wanting to be a nun???
Oh, that's how Magellan comes into it. Thanks, Jack.
Looks like a festival that has all one could wish for.
To tell you the truth, Ulla, it was my first ever. I haven't attended one n the Philippines even though my father's family come from the island of Cebu which started it. I actually went to Zurich to meet some people and, well, it was the best time to meet them, indeed.
had you been a nun, sorry Tina, no lasagna! LOOOOLLL
Imagine, Tina, had you become a nun, then you wouldn't have known the joys of lasagna! LOOOLL
Kaya nga at ang freedom na na enjoy ko sa Olanda haha.
Hola Jack...that is not our present ambassador to Germany...when was this taken or what she there as guest?
I mean she is not...
If you read well my caption, I said the "Phil. Amb. to Switzerland". Yes, my dear ML, Frau Falcon is now assigned in Bern and not anymore in Berlin... We took the chance to exchange few notes during Sinulog :-)
The season of merry making...among Pinays and Pinoys in Europe...non-stop talaga.
yes, my next Sinulog destination for next year is Rome. There, they really have street dancing.
You're fast, I deleted that one when I read again...you don't trust these things...even if it says delete!!!
Not only street dancing...selling also!
no problem, Sh_t happens sometimes. Btw, we still haven't discussed our seminar. I often call you but it is only your AM answering....
selling what???
you don't trust anything or anybody, do you? Loi
Go to Rome and see what some Pinays and Pinoys sell after hearing mass...
not when it comes from you!!!
you'll be my guide?
i know, I'm not your favourite Danny O. :-(
no problem...might be in Rome next week for a short visit...BTW...will call you regarding our presentation. Have to leave for another IWD activity though here in Cologne on that date. Ciao!
call me now, I'm at home until evening...
It was, Kylie! I thought I was back in the Philippines and not in Switzerland seeing those many Filipinos in our native attire.
wow!jack with two pretty ladies!
Hey - nice set Jack! Looks like I was back in Cebu.
indeed, they are, che! Indeed... :-)
hehe... honestly, Al, I'd never been yet to the real thing in Cebu, were you?
Who was St. Nino, and why is he so important to the Pinoy (national saint?)?
The name must be short for something. Some of these look as if he were a bishop.
ah, you really come from a Protestant country, Ulla! "Sto. Nino" is Spanish for "Holy Child"- a very popular icon among Catholics all over the world. I don't think though that Sto. Nino is our "national saint", if you can put it that way. I think the honour goes to his mother, Maria...
Once. And that was a looooong time ago!
But you experienced it, at least, once. Me, I was trying to avoid it because of all those devotees invading Cebu. I always made sure I wouldn't find myself in Cebu during those riotous Sinulog days.
I know heaps of saints, actually - their chronicles too. But Spanish names, no. I recognize San Iago, but I always forget who San Diego is.
So Sto Nino is Jesus as child, but apparently also in his aspect of king?
Is that so? I grew up in a catholic country, in a conservative catholic family, so I knew a lot about saints and their works but now that I'm in Europe I find it difficult at times to identify which is which in German. For instance Santiago is St. James in English and in German it is Jacob, which I often mixed-up with the other biblical Jacob, son of Abraham. And so on...
I read those chronicles on my own when I was in my twenties, they are necessary when one wants to understand iconography.
German (and Danish) follow the Greek/Latin form of the name, usually - easy for me. I know them in English and French (and recognize most in Italian), but Spanish was a language as non-studied as Dutch in my time. It has changed since, but I still only know what I've picked up from westerns and Hemingway. :-)
- meaning that I know what cojones are, but saints' names don't seem to occur in my sources [grin].
Iconography? Oh, that's one of those exotic studies, isn't it, Ulla?
I can imagine what are those sources, Ulla. Something like those listed in the Index Librorum? (more grin)
Is Hemingway on the Index? I know Joyce is (Finnegan's Wake), but I don't think he's using Spanish.
Iconography simply means the symbols and attributes by which the saints are identified on church paintings, in the Orthodox church icons, and in other art. They are much easier to remember when you know the stories. Just a part of my interest in art.
I dont really get this, but seems like a nice festival, yea we like to make big gathering like this too.
No, I don't think Hemingway was banned by Vatican censors, Ulla. I quickly checked the Wiki for that buy I haven't found his name in the list (surprise, surprise a lot of French authors were listed there!). Iconography seems to be also an exciting field for me. I remember arguing with our parish priest here (he comes from Uganda) about how Catholic symbols like lamb, bread and wine, etc. are actually alien to our culture. Of course, he was aghast when I suggested to replace them with carabao, sweet potato and tuba (coconut wine) to make them really our own...
well, I wonder if you're a Catholic, Naomy. But even if you are but one who doesn't come from the island of Cebu, you wouldn't make much sense of this celebration, the religious part that is. Culturally, you can say it is much like Fasching in Rhineland with plenty of street revelry etc. EXCEPT that we don't have the sharp social criticism that goes with Fasching.
wow! Cebuano community in Switzerland, great!
or Cebuano-dominated Filipino community in Switzerland, Sylvia! Bisag asa ang mga Cebuano modomina gyud, di pabangbang :-)
hahahaaha! mao jud!
on another note, i was surprised when we went on our european tour years ago that there are so many chinese restaurants tucked away in some hidden little streets. i thought i would sample french cuisine or dutch or belgian. nooooo! nothing like that. we were still taken to somewhere chinese where we fought over who gets the most of the taba nga baboy with soy sauce! hahahaha!
I am jelous now :-p :-p :-))
haha... don't flatter me, latin lover! LOL
hahaha you say me latin lover but you with excuse of pic hugs beautiful girls hehehehe maybe i am the latin but you are the lover :-p :-p :-p :-))...joke
I like this particular photo ^__^
sorry for this delayed reply, Francesco! Got busy with those two lovely ladies... LOL
thanks, Linsi! It was in auto mode though....
sorry for this delayed reply, sylvia! Got busy with a lot of things... Next time you come to Europe, include my place in your list and I'll show you the vineyards and the wine pubs so you won't get the impression that Germany's sidestreets are dominated by cheap chinese restos :-)
hey sinulog in switzerland! jack ok if we use some of the pix for "walking through a broken map"?
http://wanderingnation.multiply.com
interesting! indeed there is a sinulog in swisslandia. Amazing to know about it!
wow! indeed there is a sinulog in swisslandia nice to know about it!
wow! amazinG!
thanks jack! ps si vienna to! ;p
wala bagong project lang.. lol ;p
Kommentar veröffentlichen