Donnerstag, 4. Oktober 2007

Rehashing the old 'expat-ofw debate' (with due apologies to my friend Dave)

  Note: I was doing research about Pinoy migration in Europe as preparation for a coming conference in Amsterdam on Nov. 2 when I chanced upon this NYT article. This reminds me about the debate I had with my friend Dave Llorito in his blog dated Sept. 9 with the title "From OFW to Filipino Expat: Analyzing the Malu Fernandez brouhaha". 

Rising Breed of Migrant Worker: Skilled, Salaried and Welcome

(from the New York Times.com)


August 20, 2007
Border Crossings

SHARJAH, United Arab Emirates — In this country where foreigners do most of the work, there are migrant maids and migrant masons, migrant tea boys and migrant typists, all doing what most migrant laborers do, menial tasks for meager wages.

Then there is Peter Mitias, the migrant professor.

An economist with a Louisiana doctorate and a Mississippi drawl, he shocked his friends when he left a tenured job in Virginia for the American University of Sharjah, a school conjured from nothing by a sheik in the suburbs of Dubai. But when he lists the benefits of working abroad, Mr. Mitias crows.

He has free housing and utilities. (“Sweet!”) He has international experience on his résumé. (“Huge!”) He has cheap household help, good schools for his children and a BMW and a Mercedes he was able to buy by paying no income tax. Not to mention plenty of American fast food.

“Papa John’s delivers to my house,” he said. “It’s all here!”

This is migrant work, Ph.D.-style — a lesson about labor, a comment on class, a window onto globalization and a phenomenon on the rise.

Legions of common workers across the globe face new barriers to migration, as destination countries tighten their borders and toughen their talk. But professionals like Mr. Mitias, 39, find ever more welcome mats. Even countries wary of migrant brawn are bullish on migrant brains, and many offer tax breaks and streamlined visas to compete in the global marketplace.

“Everybody wants smart people in their country,” Mr. Mitias said.

While most migrants remain unskilled, and many are desperately poor, the global demographics are shifting.

The number of college-educated migrants in rich Western countries rose 69 percent from 1990 to 2000, according to a World Bank analysis prepared for The New York Times. By contrast, the number of less-educated migrants rose 31 percent.

The analysis, by Caglar Ozden, an economist at the bank, measured movement to 20 nations, including the United States, Canada, Australia and most of Western Europe, and included people who went to college after migrating as children. Of 52 million migrant workers in those countries, 36 percent had some college education, up from 31 percent a decade before.

Of those migrants leaving one rich country for jobs in another, the number with some college education rose 30 percent. The parallel movement of less-skilled workers fell 8 percent.

“My sense is these trends have gotten much stronger since 2000,” Mr. Ozden said. “Educated people are becoming more mobile.”

As a small country filled with hired hands, the United Arab Emirates offers students of migration a uniquely rich habitat. About 85 percent of the work force comes from abroad. There are crowds of Indian construction workers, hammering and hauling in the sun, and solitary maids from Southeast Asia scrubbing behind locked doors.

Most are forced to come alone and spend years without seeing their children. But there are also pockets of prospering professionals, families in tow: Indian doctors, British bankers and American lawyers. Ski Dubai, the famous indoor slope, has Russian ski instructors.

“We’re stuck in the paradigm of thinking that migration is only about poor people moving to rich countries,” said Dhananjayan Sriskandarajah of the Institute for Public Policy Research, a London research group. “But lots of people move among rich countries, and people from rich countries increasingly move all over the world.”

“Migration is a two-way street,” he said.

The American University of Sharjah is one of many hiring halls here for the highly educated. A passion of the Sharjah ruler, Sheik Sultan Bin Mohammed al-Qassimi, it opened in 1997 with deep pockets and hopes of building East-West ties. The school now has about 4,000 international students and 300 professors, about half from North America.

The professors work on long-term contracts, with no route to citizenship, and live in free campus housing, with up to $82,400 of earnings free from American income tax. There is no local income tax.

Some come for the money. Some come for adventure. Some come to revive stalled careers. Some come to have regrets.

“I feel like I’ve put my life on hold,” said Tina Richardson, 46, who teaches mass communications at the university and leads the faculty senate.

She arrived from Oregon four years ago, looking for a place to raise her son and a way out of debt. But the teaching has been less rewarding than she hoped, the cost of living has been higher, and cross-cultural friendships harder to establish, especially as a single mother in an Islamic society. After an early trip to the campus pool left her feeling ogled, she did not return.

“I get attention that I don’t want as a single, blond woman—attention I don’t do anything to solicit other than exist in my body,” she said. While the setting has been good for her teenage son, “it’s been a disaster for me personally.”

Elites have long sought their fortunes abroad, but today’s mobility is marked by its spread to more middle classes. A study that Mr. Sriskandarajah helped to write found nearly one in 10 British citizens living in a foreign country, including retirees. “There’s been a democratization of the ability to move,” he said.

Middle-class mobility seems likely to grow. As foreign trade and investment expand, more workers have reason to follow. E-mail and cellphones bridge distances. And since the tech boom of the late 1990s, more governments have opened their doors.

Some countries want migrants to stay. Canada long ago pioneered a point system that promises a work visa and a path to citizenship to any worker with the right qualifications. Now the list of places with similar programs includes Australia, New Zealand, Britain, Hong Kong and the Czech Republic. But much of the recent growth has been in temporary plans. The United States, Britain, Ireland and France are among those with time-limited visas for the skilled. Sweden and Denmark have courted foreigners with tax breaks. Several countries, most notably Australia, try to capture migrants early, by encouraging foreign students to remain.

For all the global stress on brains, many economies need low-skilled migrants, too. A legion of foreign-born nannies keeps educated Americans on the job. Still, poor foreigners often raise fears of crime and cultural conflict and are more likely to cross borders illegally. Many countries are narrowing — or threatening to narrow — their ability to get in.

“Governments give a green light to high-skilled migrants, but put speed bumps in front of others,” said Jeanne Batalova, a demographer at the Migration Policy Institute, a Washington research group. “There’s a stark contrast.”

Though educated migrants are often called “elites,” some analysts say the term disguises the problems they face. Some are reluctant travelers with displaced families, struggling to find housing, health care and schools amid the isolation of a foreign land. A nascent academic literature is exploring such problems as workplace discrimination and the frustration of spouses without jobs.

“It’s difficult to make this kind of lifestyle work,” said Adrian Favell, a sociologist at the University of California, Los Angeles. “There are hidden costs.”

Ms. Richardson, the communications teacher, has struggled at home and abroad. After difficulties that included time on food stamps, she spent nearly four years working to support her son while getting a master’s degree from the University of Oregon, only to be rejected by Ph.D. programs. Sharjah offered an escape and tax-free pay. “I was leaving something, rather than going to something,” she said. “What I had wasn’t working.”

More frustrations followed. Without a doctorate, Ms. Richardson started at a lower salary than colleagues, $33,000, and had to work two extra campus jobs. She has spent most of her time teaching English composition to nonnative speakers, far from her interest in women’s literature. And despite her hopes of contributing to an East-West dialogue, Ms. Richardson was unsettled to find herself feeling pulled toward her American identity.

“Culture is just a lot more powerful than I had ever anticipated,” she said. “I found that I really belong to this one culture — American — that I’ve been very critical of.”

By contrast, Mr. Mitias, a football-loving, squirrel-hunting, anything-but-alienated graduate of Louisiana State, has found himself the accidental internationalist, thrilling to possibilities he had not previously glimpsed.

He describes life abroad as a successive discovery of freedoms: freedom from taxes, freedom from mortgages, freedom from crime, freedom from the sex and violence his daughters would see on American television. He and his wife have taken them to places as different as London and Vietnam, and to Thailand three times. “The world’s at your fingertips,” he said.

Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia, where he used to teach, is more than two centuries old; Sharjah was waiting to be molded. He has helped created two new graduate programs and guide the business school to American accreditation. With Ivy League colleges starting programs in Dubai, he laughs about colleagues who warned that a foreign job was professional suicide. “Harvard is here,” he said.

While Ms. Richardson talks of missing Oregon glades and big trees, Mr. Mitias’s favorite metaphor is a spinning globe. “I could go to Europe. I could go to Asia. I could go to South America,” he said. “That’s the difference between me and the unskilled workers — I’ve got choices.”

 

 


109 Kommentare:

al perez manlangit hat gesagt…

“That’s the difference between me and the unskilled workers — I’ve got choices.”

How true indeed! Can't argue with this. Now, unfortunately for us, there are still more of the latter than the former though demographics are slowly changing. I hope (but doubt) a generational change could catapult us to the bracket of skilled, salaried and welcome expats.

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

I don't know if you followed my debate with Dave in his blog, Al. I welcome the trend he mentioned there, that there are more expat pinoys who are highly skilled working abroad (like you) but I don't need to worry about the likes of you who knew how to fend for yourselves. But what about the majority who can't. That's why I argued that the change of name from OFW's to "Expats" wouldn't change their condition, and that's simply because they don't have choices, unlike the likes of you, Al.

Ulla Langoo hat gesagt…

It seems to me that there are two totally different kinds of migrants or migration. One group goes wherever the best job is, and/or the most attractive lifestyle or climate or whatever, or they spend years moving around because they like change and adventure.
Then there are those who don't have a reasonable chance of a decent life where they belong. And such people should not exist! Shipping X% of a country's population somewhere else doesn't solve the real problem, and those people don't have a genuine choice, they have to go to whichever country will receive them. In many cases, they are treated as second class citizens.
The latter group is the reason why I'm not profoundly happy with "globalisation". I'd rather see wealth distributed geografically - then people would have a genuine choice. All of them. That they can go and slave in countries like Singapore where the citizens consider themselves above manual work is a makeshift solution that causes suffering.

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

I totally agree with you, Ulla! As I've said already, people who migrate out of choice are the ones who usually know the ropes. But there are many more who migrate in order for their families to survive, and here in this category that governments and civil society must work hand in hand. Have you seen stories how those Africans, for instance, cross the Atlantic risking lives and limbs? It is shocking, horrible, and inhuman. For me, however, my concern now is how to transform this so-called Filipino "overseas middle class" into a real middle class like what Europeans have, able to influence policies back home to promote their varying interests. I hope that this conference that I'm going to attend in 3 weeks time in Amsterdam will be a good start.

David Llorito hat gesagt…

what's your message jack? ok: "you are a maid, you have less choice, therefore you are OFWS. then on my side, you are PhD, you have choice, therefore you are expat." funny.

its because you think they dont have a choice doesnt mean they dont deserve the respect and neutral labeling that every foreign worker or expat deserves. its high time you examine your perspective, my friend. labeling might be cosmetic, but hey peoople buy trillions worth of cosmetics just to improve their status in society. why do you wear armani to a job interview jack? oh, its cosmetic, my goodness.

try to examine your views about "the less fortunate," my friend and you will see you are probably patronizing.

Ulla Langoo hat gesagt…

I read the message as: "calling people something else doesn't improve their situation, so let's discuss the important issues instead".
You may call people "visually impaired" instead of "blind", but they still can't read your blogs, okay!

As for ad hominem arguments, I prefer to ignore them.

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

thanks for this sobering warning, could be that I have such tendencies but it is not borne out of arrogance as you seem to imply, dear dave. I have seen a few cases of our kababayans here who were crying out for help but there's no one they could turn to. And I don't think they care if they're called expats or ofw as long as they get help in their times of need.

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

or take them as humanly as possible, like with a grain of humour :-)

David Llorito hat gesagt…

Jack/ulla:

if im god, ill probably distribute wealth geographically well, according to your wishes. but since in real life that is not happening because of some historical circumstances (imperialism, neocolonialism, etc), ill go for the most realistic policies. Ill go for enhancing people's choices in life. if they are sick and tired of their country for some reasons (slow transformation, corruption, politics, low wages), they could always live and be happy elsewhere. if they made a decision to migrate and suffered for it, then so be it. what's important is that they made their choice. no big deal really because many of us have also decided to stay where we are and yet suffered for it. see? its all about choices.

the decision to move beyond the borders belongs to all of us regarding our status in life. we see lots of germans, americans, and europeans migrating and living in developing countries like the philippines for their love of the sun and the beaches. i dont see why a high school graduate or the less educated should be deprived of the chances to migrate in other countries if they so desire simply because we think they dont have "real choices." come on, its not even your call whether or not they dont have real choices. its not you or me who makes the decision; they have to make that decision and i wouldnt judge whatever decision they make.

hehe! i get passionate sometimes, but ignore it. im really friendly. hahaha!

David Llorito hat gesagt…

nah, i know you. you are not arrogant. i dont imply that. if i sound so, my apologies. but we are discussing this and i really try to explore my own thoughts about this. and sometimes i get passionate.

so please, while we are discussing this lets not even think of ill will or whatever. we are discussing this as friends. same thing with ulla.

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

ah, my armani, you see I'm as vain as you :-) But back to the issues, Dave: I posted the article in my blog after reading that the trend of high-skilled "workers" going abroad to work is more like a global phenomenon and not just in the Philippines. (And, yes, even these high-skilled migrant workers are, well, called migrant workers.)

al perez manlangit hat gesagt…

Indeed, Jack, I read Dave's article. He was suggesting that it's time to discard this mislabeling of Filipinos working abroad and replace it with a more realistic, neutral name. Expatriate. I think we're the only nationality that has a certain tag for its people working and living outside of the country. Never heard of Overseas Indian Workers or Overseas British Workers or Overseas Egyptian Workers. But they sure do exist - here alone in Q8 there are almost a hundred nationalities working. And they're called expatriates. Expat for short.

OFW doesn't properly encompass all of us who are abroad. What is the status of my wife then or my son? OFW? No, 'cause they're not working. But they are living abroad. OFW-dependent? Too clumsy. Expatriate is more like it. Even by definition, that's the correct term.

David Llorito hat gesagt…

yes, they are migrant workers in academic literature but in popular media they are called expats. in silicon valley, the indians, chinese, armenians, israelis are called expats.

David Llorito hat gesagt…

amen!

David Llorito hat gesagt…

ulla/jack/al: i think the context of what jack is saying is that each country in the world really has a great responsibility in this world to improve the status of its citizens. we all probably agree on this point.

...and that people have to migrate just to improve their economic lot is deplorable and dehumanizing especially for those who dont have PhD in rocket science to leverage in the foreign labor market.. we probably agree on this as well as i do.

what we are probably debating here is the nature of policy to deal with the phenomenon, and that's where the divergence of opinions are. and in this case i share Jack's lament about how our government has not been effective in addressing accompanying problems.

ok, here's where i come from: given all these imperfections, these inutility of government institutions, what's the right policy environment while problems are being addressed albeit incrementally? I say i go for enhancing people's choices in life. ultimately, what makes a good society is really how it gives citizens choices.

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

Actually, Al, if you read the thread, I conceded already to Dave on this regard in his blog. So let me pause the next question: what shall we do next in terms of influencing policies back home not only to improve our image as Pinoys abroad but to really have real impact to our less fortunate countrymen?

David Llorito hat gesagt…

partially, i answered this in the last reply. see above. but let me think some more. hehehe!

Ulla Langoo hat gesagt…

Dave, I'm not saying that a Pakistani unskilled labourer who can't read should be DEPRIVED of the chance to go and work in Sweden. I'm saying that he shouldn't be FORCED by poverty (or whatever) to 1) leave his country and family; 2) go to his choice no. 14 because England etc. don't let him in; 3) whoever receives him should not treat him as a second-class citizen.
1) has to solved in and by his own country, hopefully and eventually with assistance from more privileged countries. Both this and the other two are about attitudes, and I believe working on them produces better results in the long run than anything else. That they don't seem to be changing much right now is no excuse for giving up.

I'm sorry, I have to go now. I'll be back on Sunday or Monday.

David Llorito hat gesagt…

on this clarification, we share the same perspective. thanks for clarifying.

but previous reply also helps clarify things.

Ulla Langoo hat gesagt…

Yes, your previous reply clarified a lot, Dave - but it came while I was writing.

David Llorito hat gesagt…

no worries.

David Llorito hat gesagt…

never had an armani, jack. nor do i wish i had. im a simple guy who wears simple working class clothes, the main reason i guess is that its funny wearing fancy clothes when you clamber up a bus or jeepney day in and day out, sweat and all. hahaha! but im big on buying books, but that's also cosmetic, i guess. hahaha!

David Llorito hat gesagt…

of course, jack. i believe you when it comes to helping people, your sincerity as a person. and im proud being your friend. no doubt about it.

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

I agree with your thesis on higher growth, dave. But what about redistribution of wealth? What about all those money from Pinoys working abroad, are there serious incentives for having their savings kept at home- not just for consurmer spending, but to have real savings or investment where they can rely on when they retire and get back home. Do we have some kind of "OFW" bonds, or government securities we can buy at cheaper rates but guaranteeing the same ROI? What about health and life insurances? Sorry, my thoughts are rambling for the moment, the children are just home and hungry. I'll get back to you later, okey?

David Llorito hat gesagt…

that is why i said, lets have equity as well.

equity means redistributive policies. but i guess i havent explained well enough.

David Llorito hat gesagt…

the common view about OFWs/expats is that they are not smart enough to save for the rainy day. but consider this: a recent ADB study says that most remittances money are spent on education and health, housing and some bank savings.

education... health... housing... arent these real investments? of course they are. we do have attractive government securities but im not expert enough to tell you.

David Llorito hat gesagt…

growth with equity is the term that i used. growth with redistribution, thats what it means in my vocabulary.

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

this is one of the areas that I would also like to explore: how are these positive policies being communicated to us? Maybe this is one area where the civil society can come in. The question is how?

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

ah, the dangers of bearing one's soul in the public domain. I hope that you didn't reduce that blog of mine to bragging about a pair of probably fake armanis. If you read closely, it is more than that, Dave. I wrote it as a kind of existential reflection- pagmunimuni, if you will- of my life here. Yes, I used to have a sweet middle class lifestyle- able to afford both my armanis and books. But it had also plenty of downside.

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

I never had such a view and I know how many Filipinos here toil hard for all the reasons you mentioned, like health which, unfortunately, some of us here they I know had to shell a hell lot of money for their sick relatives back home. Something which could habe been better provided for by the state.

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

I wholeheartedly agree with you on this. Didn't you give me once a link in one of your editoritals on this? It would be handy now to read it again.

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

no, I don't agree with this sweeping statement. A state must know what is their national interest before opening it's ecomomic pandora's box. More on this issue, next time around. Got to do some errands.

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

I can share a nostalgic laugh about real cosmetics, too! It wasn't me using Skinol in college, but I knew of someone in the boys' dorm who did ha...ha..ha..

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

I'm all go for this. Can you send me a link to this bill in congress? I think it will be really good if Filipinos abroad know about what are the good bills they can lobby for congress to approve.

al perez manlangit hat gesagt…

Actually, on a personal basis, I had joined a couple of OFW organizations whose mission was to help economically uplift the "less fortunate" of our countrymen. One was quite ambitious - to put up a bank subscribed to by OFWs worldwide and lobby for better government regulations to help those who want to reintegrate back home once their time abroad is up. The mission/vision was good. Several chapters were put up specially here in the Mideast. All floundered because of one reason or another and the root cause was always the counterpart people in Manila.

So I've put a stop to my involvement in such stuff. Discouraging. Nakakadala. Twice bitten, thrice shy....

David Llorito hat gesagt…

the mechanics about this i really dont know. maybe because i really dont have the money to spare for it to bother. hahaha!

David Llorito hat gesagt…

no worries, jack. these are all discussions. no ones bragging about anything. we use images, info etc to spice up the discussion. i dont insinuate anything. lol!

David Llorito hat gesagt…

i understand your viewpoint and i respect that. but im sure about my recommendations here.

the philippine state really is nothing but totally penetrated by vested interests. the history of philippine underdevelopment is a history of the philippine state hijacked by these vested interests (monopolies, oligpolies, rent-seekers, neo-feudal elements). we only started to see real changes when Cory up to Ramos started dismantling some of them through market oriented policies. example here is telecom, aviation, retail, banking, water, to name a few. but these reforms are not complete. we need a second wave of reforms to get to the next level... ah, this should be worth another discussion. hahahah!

given these entrenched interests that hamper development, you have several options. one is to line them up against the wall and shoot them. but this is no longer in fashion. so the other option is make them reform their ways through economic instruments, like market oriented policies.

do you know why integrators in luzon still import corn from argentina instead of buying corn from bukidnon? its because interisland shipping and port operations are oligopolistic, thus enabling them to charge way above market rates and victimizing the farmers. solution? why not reform the "cabotage law" and allow competition from foreign shipping companies? but we dont do this yet because the port monopolists are friends of malacañang.

for further discussion on this matter, you may visit: http://davidllorito.blogspot.com/2006/06/dysfunction-in-philippine-shipping.html

David Llorito hat gesagt…

here's another one related to my post above: http://davidllorito.blogspot.com/2007/06/scandal-in-philippine-ports.html

David Llorito hat gesagt…

re "second wave of reforms" try this: http://davidllorito.blogspot.com/2006/07/philippines-needs-second-wave-of.html

Elpidio Latorilla hat gesagt…

As I have said many times before: "location, location, location".

One has to find the best launching pad for whatever he wants to achieve in life, go there, set your foot in and sprint.

The worst thing that one can do is to base his decisions on some dogma or ideologies.

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

thanks, dave!

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

Ah, I'm also wary about knee-jerk responses, Al. Talagang, nakakadala. A group of Pinoys here have also been toying with the idea of setting-up a rural bank to do micro-finance, some three years back. But i just kept my mouth shut and held my money tight. I know my limitations. I'm not a Mohammad Yunos of Grameen Bank. But I'm all for the lobby work you mentioned, though. We really need to assist many of our countrymen and women who prefer to go back.

David Llorito hat gesagt…

amen. choices. choices. choices.

and sometimes, the choice is staying put and enjoy the exciting of life imperfections.

David Llorito hat gesagt…

that's certainly a personal perspective.

but even the idea about pursuing one's happiness, pursuing one's self interest (wherever that is: america, europe, middle east) is deeply ideological. its called Objectivism, originated by Ayn Rand, emphasizing "reason," individualism, and "enlightened" self-interest.

my view in all these things is that no one has the right to judge any person's decision. if one is not happy living in the philippines, by all means leave and go elswhere. but that decision is not necessarily superior to the decision of those who opted to stay where they are. choice, choices and choices.

David Llorito hat gesagt…

that is why there is no substitute to policy reforms. do gooding is fine but it has many limitations.

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

of course, policy reforms that work! that's why you need a vibrant civil society, a critical intelegentsia, and an dedicated civil servants to carry it out.

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

hey, Bong! Where did you get those words you attributed to me? They were not mine, you see.

David Llorito hat gesagt…

you forgot one group that matters: the entrepreneurs.

David Llorito hat gesagt…

its the third paragraph from the last.

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

the entrepreneurs you mentioned will come in droves, dave, if the fundamentals are right. but of course, i prefer home grown ones, with social conscience.

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

hmmm, what's that?

Elpidio Latorilla hat gesagt…

I know it's from Jason DeParle.

Elpidio Latorilla hat gesagt…

Entrepreneurs would be hesitant to come in if they see (or perceive) that a positive ROI is not guaranteed. Most of them dont do their thing for charitable reasons.

Elpidio Latorilla hat gesagt…

You are right, fundamentals really matter. And surprise, even Germany can be used as an example of a not so positive fundamentals (in some particular areas). Take small business start ups for example. It is not easy to set up a business in Germany when you have very small capital. My own experience validated this. In my past 13 years in Germany I never was able to set up the business I like due to many hurdles (too complicated, too many requirements, too expensive fees, too many rules, regulations, etc.).

Come USA (ok, this country is not perfect but hey we are talking reality here) and I started setting up my business one year after I came in. And surprise, I never had to go to any state dept. physically. Everything was done online and by mail. After a month the business is legal, functioning, and most importantly earning money. 13 years vs. 1 month with no hassles?? Fundamentals....

Elpidio Latorilla hat gesagt…

You are right, fundamentals really matter. And surprise, even Germany can be used as an example of a not so positive fundamentals (in some particular areas). Take small business start ups for example. It is not easy to set up a business in Germany when you have very small capital. My own experience validated this. In my past 13 years in Germany I never was able to set up the business I like due to many hurdles (too complicated, too many requirements, too expensive fees, too many rules, regulations, etc.).

Come USA (ok, this country is not perfect but hey we are talking reality here) and I was able to set up my business one year after I came in. And surprise, I never had to go to any state dept. physically. Everything was done online and by mail. After a month the business is legal, functioning, and most importantly earning money. 13 years vs. 1 month with no hassles?? Fundamentals....

Elpidio Latorilla hat gesagt…

Dont know either but most probably a protectionist law.

Elpidio Latorilla hat gesagt…

The big difference is that I (or the likes of me) don't know or don't care about those "isms". I see them as attempts to explain or describe what a person is doing and why. But never as a guide. For the proof: there were and are people like me even before Ayn Rand was born. He may had the wisdom to analyse these kind of people, coined the term, and publish it, but his work never was a guide. Let's assume that most immigrants are "objectivists" according to Ayn Rand's definition. How many of them have heard of Ayn Rand and objectivism? I dare to say, very very few.

What I mean with basing one's decision on dogma or ideology is when a person first learns of it (by reading or listening), then accepts it and molds himself and his actions according to the "blueprint" that these dogmas and ideologies present. One evidence of this happening is when the person starts to make personal sacrifices. Why? Because the "blueprint" never solves every problem the individual faces. In order to fit in the blueprint he has to sacrifice some things.

Elpidio Latorilla hat gesagt…

So, Dave (you might hate me for this), are you sacrificing things? If yes, then you might be letting yourself be guided by some "ism".

But the real question whether it is good or bad is not for me to judge. As you have said, it's all about choices. I respect that.

Elpidio Latorilla hat gesagt…

OK, I'll correct it to "The worst thing that I can do...."

Elpidio Latorilla hat gesagt…

Immigrating to another country doesn't automatically mean abandoning the Philippines. It is just an expanded version of moving from Davao to Manila to get a job. There is a lot of ways an immigrant can do to help his country of origin. More of often than not, the immigrant has positioned himself to help more effectively than if he would have stayed.

But then again, as you have said, choices and choices. That's true. We do choose both our capacities and limitations.

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

Choices, yes, but remember, Bong, you can only choose from what's on the menu. And for many of us what's listed on the card seems rather limited, dull and unpalatable.

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

he...he.. this is nice: are you saying that dave is a dogmatist?

Elpidio Latorilla hat gesagt…

Correct. But you know how I correct the situation? I either change menus or go somewhere else where the menu is much better. Again, back to location and location :)

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

you don't have family, my friend. it's easier for you to say that.

Elpidio Latorilla hat gesagt…

Awww. You are right. I forgot. But I still get creative when that problem crops up. :)

Elpidio Latorilla hat gesagt…

Of course not. But he might take it that way and hate me. That would be a disaster.

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

Or, could it be that some of them are structural in nature? Like having a family so you are not as mobile as you wanted to? Or you become poor soon after one year because by law you become Hartz IV (for non germans, a social welfare law) beneficiary even if for more than 20 years you have been contributing your share in the unemployment fund. Or that you maybe, indeed over qualified, but then nobody would hire you now because you are fast 50? Think about it my friend...

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

i'll answer that for dave: he can be nasty at times, that's true. But "hate" has never been in his vocabulary. Or his heart. Trust me.

Elpidio Latorilla hat gesagt…

He he he. We all should meet one day in a bar and continue talking while drinking margaritas.

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

why not? you can sponsor dave and me, Don Elpedio he...he...he...

Elpidio Latorilla hat gesagt…

I know all that. Some more reasons why I left that structure and went for a more liberal one. I am either simply lucky I was single or it was all along part of my personal strategy. It all goes back to choices as Dave would have said.

Elpidio Latorilla hat gesagt…

Wow, don't tell me you can read minds :)

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

are you saying, all the 4 million plus unemployed in germany like me should go packing their bags and leave? come on.

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

it's one of my modest talents, you know. Now tell, dave, to get a visa and tomorrow I'll be at the US embassy for fingerprinting he...he...

Elpidio Latorilla hat gesagt…

Why not, there is still space for 4 million skilled professionals here? ( We would just kick out the 10+ millions of illegals from here and that would make more space). Remember, it was the german scientists who developed the american rocket/space program. Some germans would like to say these scientists were "kidnapped" by the us army after WW2. But we know better :)

But seriously, I dont really know the answer. Perhaps, Mrs. Merkel knows.

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

check my german blog for the poem I wrote to her. you know the site.

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

and, honestly, she doesn't either. nobody knows, in fact.

Elpidio Latorilla hat gesagt…

I have read it already, days ago. I hope she reads it too :)

Elpidio Latorilla hat gesagt…

Oh btw: you mentioned "structural in nature". Ok, why not go for structural change. Well, of course, it is easier said than done knowing the german ways and thinking.

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

fat chance!

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

yes, we do. yes we do. just watch it for yourself. it is slow in coming but it will come. someday.

Elpidio Latorilla hat gesagt…

I am sure of that. Actually, the changes have begun some years ago. It is slow. I attribute it to german's thoroughness.

I just could not wait.

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

it is almost midnight now, my friend. gonna go and sleep now. ciao.

Elpidio Latorilla hat gesagt…

It is easy to absorb that figure. This is the only country in the world where more than half million new immigrants are let in every year. In some years it even reached a million a year.

And if all those german engineers, mathematicians, scientist, philosophers, etc. come in droves. Wow, "tulo laway ang kano". There is practically no age limit to work here. There is a retirement age but that is more like an option. You still can get hired even if you are 70 as long as you are competent for the job.

David Llorito hat gesagt…

bong, that you have migrated and is apparently happy sounds great to me. i dont even think of it as abandoning or what. hell, you may even call it abandonment and i dont give a damn. in fact, like people who abandoned the philippines and are honest about it. the philippines is just to crowded for the discontented.

but that option is not for me. my decision to stay is not about sacrifice. im happy being here. im not sacrificing anything. you probably think all people who are living here are miserable and you pity them. i suggest you discard that notion; pity could weigh on your heart unnecessarily. lol!

all i request to people who has left is be happy with their decision and not be judgmntal about those who stayed. i met lots of people who abandoned the philippines and are miserable in their new abode. so migration could either be a solution or a curse. so i dont consider migration superior option to my own decision to stay.

of course, if my son decides to leave that will be his decision and ill be happy for him. in fact im encouraging him to go for post grad in the US or Europe someday.

David Llorito hat gesagt…

again, the solution is simple: if you are not happy, then leave and find happiness elsewhere.

if you are bothered about those who has less choices, fine. but we should never underestimate people's creativity to create that choice for themselves. we are always concerned about those who have less choices (based on our perception anyway) and we may end up being patronizing.

David Llorito hat gesagt…

im not sacrificing anything. im happy being here. i could go somewhere else ( i could have done that if i wanted to) but migration i guess wouldnt define happiness for me.

David Llorito hat gesagt…

yeah, take it from someone who really knows me insidte out.

ah, am i nasty? oh sorry about that. it was never meant if i sound that way. and hate, im incapable of. im a jedi; not a sith. hahahaha!

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

yes, I believe I still do. I think I still know very well the old Dave Llorito.

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

I'm more than bothered, Dave, I'm terribly concerned. Some of them are very close friends and relatives, not just faceless numbers or statistics. And I can't see them leaving their families behind just to milk cows in New Zealand. Or worst, to be deployed in Iraq doing menial, high paid, but very risky jobs. I respect their decision, but who would carry the biggest burden?

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

ok, correction pls., you're just a passionate debater, dave :-)

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

If it is that simple, dave, I would have already been long gone and have taken a high-paying post in Indonesia. But my wife and children said no. So I'm still jobless now, you know.

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

I'm glad that you have that attitude, Dave. You know where your roots are, I guess, even as you very well know that you have very wide and capable wings.

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

bye, for now, my friends, I'll be out for some days and will be back on Monday.

David Llorito hat gesagt…

yeah, there are constraints but staying with the family is really part of your choice. and the rewards for that is even bigger.

David Llorito hat gesagt…

i understand your concern my friend. i used to think that way, until i realized people whom im concerned about are adults who also wanted to define life and reality for them. so what if they milk cows in new zealand? they were not forced at gunpoint to do so. so what if they dodge bullets in iraq? for as long as it was their decision, no worries for me. who knows they might even come out of it alive and better persons. if they got killed, tough luck. i have a neighbor who slipped at the railroad track, hit the rail and died. he was enjoying his morning's marlboro.

i have a friend, a middle class one who has properties here. she went to afghanistan to do some "development work". the last time i heard is that she is happy with here decision, and getting richer doing so. haha!

but i perfectly understand your viewpoint.

Ulla Langoo hat gesagt…

Dave, some people's choices are between plague and cholera! They can choose to starve at home or at least live hand-to-mouth knowing that their children have no chances of a better future, or they can for instance take that high-risk job in Iraq. They do not have any access to anything I would even consider an option! They have the right to define their own life, yes, but they are NOT given that right to a reasonable degree.
My husband was sent 300 km away from home when he was 10-12 years old. Yes, he had choices. He could have become a beggar or a drug dealer or a male prostitute and maybe become quite wealthy, but he could NOT choose to get an education. His future was decided at that point: either menial worker forever or some kind of vendor, eventually houseboat-runner on Dal Lake. He can go abroad? Yes - if he can find a "sponsor". If not, he won't get as much as a two weeks tourist visa, and it takes a month to get it (it takes two days for me). His choices depend on other people's choices to a large degree. Mine do not.
This is unfair! And when you say "so what?" or "so be it" about such things, you piss me off large-scale!! I understand what you mean, and I really like you as a person, but sometimes - oh man!
Another thing: I live abroad, and if something - anything - bad happens to me, I have an embassy behind me. An Indian maid in Singapore has no such thing because the embassy people don't give a shit about her. She's a nobody, so their reaction will be "so what?". Such an attitude is one thing the privileged in her home country ought to work to change. I don't know if it's needed in the Philippines; if it is, you're one of those who ought to ---. Instead of saying "so what?"!

Ulla Langoo hat gesagt…

I know we can't guarantee anybody's happiness wherever they are, but we can give them better chances of obtaining it than most countries do. More choices. That's what all this is about in my opinion.

David Llorito hat gesagt…

hey, thanks for this. you bring me to terra firma. but really you should consider the context: while im saying this, part of our struggle here in the philippines is the continuing reform in governance and that includes labor migration. part of the reform process here is the latest rule that recruiters cannot hire maids here in the philippines lower than a specified rate. its a way to discourage young, uneducated and "gullible" people from getting sucked into labor migration. there are existing policies against deployment of Filipino workers in Iraq, although many are apparently violating this. increasingly, there are treaties forged among labor sending and receiving countries for the protection of workers. but you know that government actions are always slower than the dynamics of the global labor market. given that situation, from a policy point of view, im inclined still to give freedom and choices to any body who wants to work here or abroad.

if im an administrator of labor migration, i wont say: "hey, you have PhD in rocket science, therefore you can go to Dubai. And you there, you are only worth as a maid, i wont allow you to leave." No, i wont do that. What ill do are: 1) forged agreements with labor receiving countries on how best to protect workers; 2) provide more funds for worker protection; 3) continue upgrading the skills of labor since their best protection are their skills; and 4) provide adequate cultural training and briefing as to their rights while they are working overseas.

the philippine government, in fairness, is doing so at diffirent levels of effectiveness. and its not always perfect. we still have some nasty surprizes sometimes and all these reforms are on-going.

Ulla Langoo hat gesagt…

All right - the Philippines appear to be on the right track as far as potential or actual migrants go. Fine. Some countries, including India, are not, the basic reason being that neither the government nor the privileged give a shit about the non-privileged even when they are IN the country. And it all starts - or should start - with caring about them, not with telling them that they can just go elsewhere.
I must admit that it never occurred to me to "solve" anything by forbidding anyone to leave their country. I mean, the former communist Eastern European states did it, probably because their governments knew that the countries would be totally depopulated if the borders were opened. It's nothing to do with solving human problems like unemployment, illiteracy and poverty.

Ulla Langoo hat gesagt…

I admit that I have been talking about migrants in general, not Filippinos specifically. My mistake, perhaps.

Elpidio Latorilla hat gesagt…

No, Ulla, it was not a mistake.

Your husband could be another Filipino in the Philippines and he would have similar problems.

You paint the indian image in one way, while Dave paints the philippine image in another way.

Ulla Langoo hat gesagt…

Thank you, Bong. I thought, well, Jack's article is about migrants in general, so ---. It's a global problem, not specific for one or a few nations. But of course I understand why many of the participants in this discussion are mostly interested in the Filippinos.

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

I just love your sharp comments, Ulla! Indeed, what's the effect of "devil and the deep blue sea" compared to "plague and cholera". What a metaphore!

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

That freedom should be basic in all countries, dave. And, indeed, I agree with you that some good policies are in place to safeguard the rights of Pinoys working abroad, but the problem lies in policy implementation and in communication. I have the feeling that the government are just making the filipinos abroad as convenient milking cows. I haven't yet seen any sustained focus from the government to alleviate our plight.

Ulla Langoo hat gesagt…

Hehehe. But don't attribute it to my linguistic creativity this time - it's simply the normal Danish idiom translated.

Jack Catarata hat gesagt…

ah, then there must also be a German equivalent to that one. I gonna find it out.

Ulla Langoo hat gesagt…

Could be the same. You have "etwas (einen) wie die Pest hassen" - exactly the same as we say.