Continental Europeans have this biting joke about American tourists wanting to see the whole of Europe in a record two weeks’ time: “What day is it today?” one Yankee asked another. “It is Thursday”, came the reply. “Aha”, interjected the third one, “Wednesday was Paris, so we must be in Vienna now”.
But last week, my family and I topped that ‘record’. For just two days we ‘saw’ Europe and we didn’t even have to fly with Airbus to do that.
Because of my wife’s sudden business schedules, our planned autumn break in Berlin went pffifft, so as a compromise we hauled Martin and Anna to the Europa Park near Freiburg, instead.
I thought that Europa Park was just the European version of the highly commercial Disneyland and that’s why we never ‘succumbed’ to our son Martin’s wish to visit there before- cutting him off everytime he cajoled us about it with “you’ve already been to Disneyland in Paris and they’re the same”. But then my wife and I were in for a pleasant surprise.
Okey, right off, I must admit that Europa Park has also its share of ‘mass marketing syndrome’ with its fancy theme hotels that would probably fit more in Las Vegas than with the famed Black Forest landescape nearby. That Mercedez Benz Museum, on the other hand, is really nothing more than a merchandizing shop for Formula One fans spiced with some prototype of old cars here and there, a café, and a fastfood resto. To call it a museum is rather stretching the imagination, if not downright misleading.
But Europa Park, billed as one of the biggest theme Parks in Europe, has also a lot of other interesting things to offer, from small kids to senior citizens.
True to its name, the park is divided into different European countries like Germany, France, England, and so on. And it is not only that all entertainment are designed to represent a certain country like for instance, bobsled for Switzerland, or Fjord rafting in Norway, the park also recreated that country’s ambience. Hence, one feels like being transported to London’s Baker Street or inside a Norwegian wooden chapel from the Middle Age.
What’s more since the park is cleverly located very near to the Swiss and French borders, it’s visitors speak different languages, giving the Park a distinct European feel.
Easily, the favourite for the family was Greece where the children enjoyed a roller-coaster ride in a boat named Poseidon while my wife and I were enjoying the sun outside the taverns of the miniature village of Mykonos. There, we were amazed to see that true to Greek culture, every corner – even those near the garbage bins- were planted with spices like origano, rosemary, and thyme. And the flowers on their restaurant table were real not plastic.
In the afternoon, we took the park’s express train and ended up in Spain where we watched a theater play about the search for the Holy Grail inside the arena. The play was so-so but the children enjoyed watching the stunts made by the Knights in full regalia while riding on their trained-for- circus horses. After that, we still catched the last Flamenco perfomance on the open-air stage.
The following day, we enjoyed the sights of Europe by taking the elevated monorail, drank coffee at Petit France, and spent the rest of the morning lulling on the sands of –where else- but in Portugal, under the golden October sun with a pleasant 26°C that day.
After taking a quick lunch we hurried to London to be at the Globe Theater for another performance called “Shakespeare’s Dream: As you like it”, a hodge-podge presentation of song, dance, and acrobatics.
In between, my wife and I still found a quiet corner near a ‘river’ separating Switzerland and France to catch up on our readings as the children explored ice-cold Russia.
And of course, the children wouldn’t leave the place without taking a boat ride in Adventureland, a kind of Safari along the river of the Congo where children see elephants, crocodiles, and rhinos. It was a pity that Anna destroyed my old digital camera some days before and I couldn't take now pictures (so the photos you see on this blog are courtesy of the internet :-)
There were other ‘countries’ we were not able to explore, but we couldn’t stay for another day as I had to help organize a seminar last weekend. But my family and I would certainly go back to Europa Park again soon.
34 Kommentare:
Sounds like a great place!
yes, it was really nice there for children esp. Europa Park has also a very family-friendly atmosphere.
my dream is to tour Europe by riding and sleeping on trains at night then tour a city on the day...
This, to me, is definitely better than Disneyland.. Is this in Germany?
now i know you were absent for about a week here in multiply. haha.
certainly it was a good way of spending time away from the network we got here. haha!
oh wow... sounds like a very cool park to visit when i find myself in germany again. :)
It saves you time, that's true Tyler, but you would also miss the beautiful landescape.
yeah, danny, it's like the German version of Disneyland minus the screaming mascots. It's just actually less than two hours drive south of our city.
of course, I miss you all, dave. hehehe.. But indeed, it was nice to have a break
mag-uban ta, Palangga! Duol ra ni sa among lugar.
oh, i know what you mean, at first i thought it screamed "las vegas theme park" but i understand why kids would love it. it sounds really interesting, although i'm sure nothing beats going to the actual places.
How true, how true. But then we couldn't do that in two days' time :-)
“....you’ve already been to Disneyland in Paris and they’re the same”.
Hahaha! My thoughts exactly - same line I used with my sons when they wanted to detour here which was out of the itinerary on our way from Interlaken to Stuttgard. I should have known better 'cuz its a beautiful place and more educational than Disney. Anyway, my sons are all grown up now and might not be interested in coming here. But I am! Sometimes, we should listen to our kids.....
ha...ha... maybe we went to the same course in parenting, Al! Yes, indeed, we should listen more often to our children.
Taking the Eurorail is a big cost savings specially when using it as your hotel on the night that you are travelling. But there are many places in Europe best seen on a day drive where the scenery is fantastic. Mixing both train and car is ideal if the budget allows.:-)
Di bale, Jack, from your story - parang narating ko na. In a way. Thanks for sharing....
Indeed, it is! Esp. if you buy it together with your plane ticket. Are you reading this, Tyler?
I take it as a compliment. Salamat, Al!
Isn't there an age limit on Eurorail anymore?
I'd highly recommend non-Europeans to concentrate on one or perhaps two countries - unless they have a three+ months' holiday. Trying to get an impression of a city/country in a couple of days is - well, like visiting Jack's Europa park.
Using trains as hotels??? NOT if you're above 30. Yes, perhaps if you take the most expensive option.
There is an age limit, Ulla. I think it was 30 before but I don't know now. I recommended Eurorail to Tyler, who I assume is still in his 20's. Is that right, Marky? But then again, you are right, making a train as hotel is not really pleasant.
And then there is, I think, a similar offer for senior citizens. It may only be for Europeans or EU citizens, though.
I have once tried to sleep in one of those compartment with six "beds". It was December, from Hamburg to Munich, and there was about 28 C in the compartment - and the windows were frozen and couldn't open. There's not room to sit up, and - ARRGH!
My friend and I met some Bohemian guys who'd brought a whole barrel of draught beer - we played cards with them the whole night. But then I WAS below 30.
ha..ha.. I never experienced sleeping in trains here in Europe, Ulla. But I tried it once in Asia. Many years ago I took the night sleeping train from Chiang Mai to Bangkok. The train was airconditioned so it was actually cool. But what I disliked was this feeling of sleeping inside a tight coffin. I had claustrophobic attack after that!
I get claustrophobic too; I think mostly because of the people around me. I'm not comfortable with strangers close to me.
Jack malapit kami dito..about 45 mins, drive..I've been here once and in Legoland 2x..good you had much fun!!But don't ask me to ride any of them..ayaw lagi!
Ah - Legoland is so nice.
I know, Nona! We actually passed by Sassbach, your place, when we crossed the border to Germany from France. Before going to Europa Park, we went sight-seeing along the Vogesen Forest, visited the pilgrim place Mt. Odilien, and at Martin's request, visited the Nazi Concentration Camp in Struthof, which was closed at the time. (Luckily, bec. I didn't have the patience to explain politics to the children that day :-)
I've never been to Legoland, Ulla. But Martin went to the one near Bodensee and he loved it. He's the only one actually in the family who's keen to go to such places, until we discovered Europa Park last week.
Jack, there are two Sasbachs..ours is in Ortenau, anext is a small city called ACHERN..I know pretty well the SASBACH you saw, that's near KAISERSTUHL..that's not yet our place. From Europa Park you have to get the direction going to KARLSRUHE to get to our place.:)
Okey, I see you live near Karlsruhe and not near Freiburg.
yeap..nearer to Karlsruhe than to Freiburg..genau gesagt ;)
a complete tour to the park jack ha....mura pud kog nakaadto bah
hi jack, eto na yung id ko.
with a permission from my daughter, my id is of young ones(hers),
he he mabawasan ang time kong mag-aral dahil dito ha ha ha.
hear you on next topics ha?
Oh this blog made me cry. The International Student Club in my campus went to Europa park for their Halloween Party, and I simply said no cos I don't like Halloween, though they paid half of the tickets for members. oh well since its near I think I'll go, thanx for the review.
Kommentar veröffentlichen