This morning was my day with my job counselor. Thinking what to wear for the interview, I looked outside from our window and I knew at once that it was cold- about 10°C maybe. I shivered realizing that it would be a temperature difference of 16° in just a span of two days .
I was tempted to wear my brown, leather Armani jacket hanging in my wardrobe to keep me warm outside. But then I decided against it. It would look so flashy going to the unemployment office: jobless people are supposed to be poor. So I put on my ordinary-looking gray viscose jacket, instead, with a matching gray-violet checkered Oxford under it. But then for pants, I couldn’t resist my old Armani jeans in purplish color, it looked good together with the new shoes of the same color tone that my wife gave me on my last birthday.
My Armanis are actually relics from my metrosexual past working in Düsseldorf, one of the most metrosexual of German cities. When in Rome be a Roman, they say, and I did just that there, where I then had a high-paying job. Like other young people having good income, I used to enjoy window shopping in the city’s fabulous boutiques looking for bargains. In summer, after office work, I liked to sit in one of the outdoor cafes along its fashionable Königsallee sipping cappuccino, discretely eyeing what other promenaders wore. Often, I went out with colleagues to drink wine in the city’s famous Spanish Quarters, the favourite hang-out of yuppies, discussing politics- and, yes, German literature. And, at least once a week, I pampered myself in the sauna and had my whole body rubbed with organic honey. Ah, the world was then at my feet: I had money to burn and plenty of time to spare; my family was then living 300 km. away and I saw them only at week-ends at the time.
But that was some years ago. Today I found myself knocking at the unemployment office’s door. The man who welcomed me in was surprisingly very young and was just wearing a red body-hugging t-shirt and a faded, blue jeans. I expected a middle-aged German bureaucrat wearing a gray suit and a tie. I suddenly found myself feeling old and- with my semi-formal attire- overdressed. Ah, why didn’t I come wearing shorts and slippers, instead!
He shook my hands and introduced his name, a foreign-sounding one, which looks even more foreign written on his shield. Might be Serbian, I told myself, but his German is perfect, with hardly any accent. After some small talk about the weather and his Croat parentage, he opened my file in his computer and said to me smiling, “you’re over-qualified”.
I’ve heard that word said to me several times already to know that it is just euphemism for, “hey, you’re too old to find work”. Germany has one of the world’s most highly regulated labour market. Workers are paid according to tariffs; and usually, the older you are, the more expensive your wage becomes. Because of this, many companies wouldn’t hire people like me who are already in their 40’s.
The night before, my wife and I were discussing again our bottom line in my search for work: 1) Martin and Anna have priority, so 2) no job that requires beyond one-hour driving time from home.
But, again to my surprise- Mr. Dragicevic -yes, that’s my job counselor’s name written with matching apostrophes in at least two bowels which, unfortunately I cannot find in my keypad- was full of understanding when I presented my case.
Two years ago, I was also in a similar situation and I had a bad falling out with my job counselor. She forced me to immediately get a German citizenship- for me to be easier to find a secure job as development worker abroad, she argued-- even when I told her that my family didn't want to live again overseas.
Maybe times are changing in Germany. Chancellor Merkel’s grand coalition government has lately been under intense scrutiny for not taking enough care for the poor and unemployed like me. But that’s another story.
Smiling again, Mr. Dragicevic told me that he'd enroll me in a 6-month intensive coaching program, where I’ll have a case manager to help me plot my career. What's interesting for me in this program is that, it is flexible in a way that I can control my own schedules- not to mention, that my social security time is secured.
Six months in that program is a wonderful gift: I may not earn money soon for a new Armani, but it buys me time to be at home longer for my family.
48 Kommentare:
seems like it turned out well?... oh, got to go to the presscon. see you later.
hmmm, maybe you can blog about this later.
well, I'll do that after I'll attend the orientation day, next week. I'm happy about this but my wife (shsh, typical German) isn't so, she thinks this program is mainly for handworkers, which, obviously, I am not.
My aim is only to have my name registered in the job market here. As I've said it doesn't bring me money but it means that I don't have more holes in my social security record.
hmm seems like you got the best arrangement so far. anna and martin will be happy to continue getting tender loving care.
yeah, they're happy with it- esp. Anna. She's still very dependent on me to bring her to her counless engagements!
In the Phils. the yaya does that, here it is me!
how was the press con?
ah, the usual press con on the economy. by the usual people. hehe. routine thing i do for the paper.
as routine as your blogging? he...he...
dont be embarrassed about that jack. i admire you for playing that role. ultimately success really is all about how we raised the next generation. our children.
blogging keeps my sanity if ever i was sane. hahah!
yes, it that sense I'm still a Pinoy. Many young couples here don't want to have children because they're afraid having children is going to poverty.
Now, I'm used to it really and often I just make a joke about of it. One time I brought Anna to her ballet and I had a deadline to beat, so I brought my notebook along to be able to work while waiting for her. Sitting opposite to me in the waiting room were two mothers busy knitting while talking. I smiled and told them: "ah, next time, I'll bring my needles instead of my notebook along. They laughed.
Ruth is already making critical noises about my blogging. But I find it fun. Besides, I really can practice my English. Although, to the detriment of my German. After coming back from the Phils. my German teacher complained that my German deteriorates. But until now I haven't yet made any new sched with him.
whats the complaint? i mean ruth's hahah!
but my, this is the best time to interact with you :-)
But I know, I've got to slow down sometime soon. I have a seminar to do in two weeks time. And then Pinoys in Holland invited me to attend a workshop on Migrants after that. Btw, Sen. Pangilinan is supposed to be one of the speakers there. I hardly know anything about him.
But of course, she's contented that I'm just blogging for you guys back home. My original plan was actually to stay longer than 5 weeks in the Phils. and let the rest of the family come back. But then I got sick and was hospitalized in the Phils., as I've told you, so we decided to all come home together na lang.
blog at your realistic pace, i should say. haha.
then, let me finish my story first hahah. ill get back to you later.
It is realistic. I'm chatting in real time with you. he...he...he
I'm usually bidding my time in the morning and Ruth is sometimes envious of me that she has to hurry to go to work while I sit in front of my notebook.
okey, go to make phone calls, too.
Hi Jack, just paid a visit to your site. Thanks for sharing your experience. I'll look in again, bis später.
oh..yeah..hope for the very best Jack2 ( Jack1 is the Nuguid :))
Du bist immer herzlich willkommen, Jack! Ich finde es interessant, dass wir nicht nur den gleichen Namen haben, aber auch Deutsche als Frauen haben.
I admire your honesty to write about your being a stay at home dad. Not too many men would admit to it, much less write about it.
oo nga, jack, i also found it quite interesting that you both have the same name, and you both have german wives too! i didn't know if i should introduce the two of you or not, but it seems you found each other anyway. =)
actually, I saw his headshot first in your blog. And I saw that he's from Hamburg- that's about 600 Km away from us. But later Nona invited me as her contact, and there I finally "met" my namesake Jack.
well, I'm not a macho, Danny. Never was and never will be :-))
And as for writing about it, I'm doing that only here in Mulitply, where I found out that just like poetry, it's an effective (but cheap!) form of therapy he..he...he...
I am smiling too because I understand this system. As long as you are happy with it. It is not a problem.
This is comparable to the so-called "buffer cache" in an automobile production line (or any other production lines). When one area of the line goes or slows down, the incoming stuff from the preceding area are diverted to the cache (or buffer loop) to avoid slowing down that area. This helps prevent the total break down of the whole production line.
It is a weird analogy some might think. I just wanted to visualize to anybody interested how the entire german system is like a perfectly interwoven clockwork (humans included).
True - it'll keep you in the work force, hence you'll keep your unemployment compensation. Apart from that - hm. In Denmark, such courses are usually a complete waste of time, not to mention boring - never met anyone who liked them.
I hope yours will be better.
There's the rub, Ulla. I'm not at all entitled to compensation because of my wife's income and from the little I get freelancing. But what I wanted is to limit holes I have in my social security records. With my in and out of work (mainly out, really) it now looks like a Swiss emmentaler cheese. he...he...
Oh. In Denmark, compensation is independent of the spouse's income although reduced by part-time work, freelance or not.
What do these social security records mean exactly?
you know how particular Germans are of their records... Every German has a social security number and a corresponding record of their employment or non-employment. All job seekers who are registered in the Arbeitsamt are automatically also registered at the Social Security Office. The longer you are listed in that office, the better for your retirement, because the Social Security Office supposedly counts the time you are seeking for a job in their determination of how many years you still need to work before being entitled to retirement benefits.
Thanks. I thought it had to do with your pension.
So what happens to old people who haven't worked, e.g. Hausfrauen? They starve?
well, if they're husbands have good retirement payment, then they get 50% of which when they become widows. As for the rest, they have to be on welfare.
ah, bong! you're always teasing me :-)
are the Germans supposed to take this as compliment?
Yes, if they want to.
Can't help it :-)
The last recourse is to apply for "sozialhilfe". Roughly translated to "social help".
Yes, Jack told me. So they don't have what would translate as Volkspension as in Denmark. Well, if die Sozialhilfe is adequate ---.
I can't say because I don't know the danish Volkspension.
The sozialhilfe tries to pay for the basic needs. The amount varies on case to case basis. If I am not mistaken, it even pays for one's sexual needs (say paying for a prostitute) as long as one can prove legally (paperwork actually) that it is vital to his life. There has been an issue in the media about this but the details have become blurred for me now so I might be a bit off on this. Anybody interested should do his own further research.
Being on welfare (sozialhife) bears a stigma on it. One will most probably get despised by ordinary working people than earn their sympathy. I admit that I too did have a heavy heart on most of them, often when I open my paycheck and see that half of my salary has been deducted.
I can't believe that someone over, say 65, would get despised for not earning a living. A widow who hasn't worked outside her home since she was in her twenties, for instance.
That Volkspension is given to absolutely everybody from the day they turn 67. It's reduced if they have other sources of income, e.g. a pension from their job, but everyone gets the minimum. Then they can apply for other kinds of support: an amount for rent, a card that gives discount on medicine, etc. Receivers of it pay half price for bus and train tickets. The elderly can live decently although they usually won't have much left for luxury. And they aren't humiliated by having to answer a lot of intimate questions (like people who apply for Sozialhilfe) in order to get their pension; it's automatic.
compared to Germany, Denmark- like the rest of Scandinavia- has the better social security for its citizens. But I wonder how long this solidarity would last? Germany used to have that kind of entitlements for its citizens not long ago, too. Now even the social democrats who established many of them under Willy Brandt are chirping at them quite openly and with astonishing speed, to boot.
I'm out of touch with Denmark, but there was some resentment towards receivers of Sozialhilfe before I left. Not at all towards taking care of the elderly, though. People see it as: "I pay my taxes for my whole working life, and then I'll be safe when I can't work anymore."
Even the best social intentions need to get financed. However, if the treasury is getting empty.....
A lucky jobless Jack.
Kommentar veröffentlichen