I have a confession to make: I owe this Multiply blog to Ms. Malu Fernandez. And it happened like this:
Days after returning from holidays in the Philippines last August, I got an agitated call from a Dutch-Filipina friend. “Hey, did you read the e-Mail I sent you about Malu Fernandez?”
“No, not yet, I’m still busy sorting out my thoughts about last vacation, let alone washing all those dirty clothes”, I said. But I obliged her and opened my e-Mails in my notebook. And, indeed, messages with subjects “Malu Fernandez’s column on OFWs” piled up in my in-box. I opened up one and hastily read quotations from the now most-reviled article of all time.
It then sounded funny what I read. "What’s all the fuss in there?” I asked my friend who was still on the other line. “Ah, you’re an elitist just like her!”, came the reply.
Before I could answer her provocation she'd cut me off, “read ‘thepinoy.com’ for OFW reactions, if you like”. Then I heard that she put her telephone down after murmuring that she remembered just now that she still had something urgent to do.
Now I never knew about this website until this call. I usually get my news back home from the alerts of the Philippine Section of the Asian House here. Or I go to the websites of the Inquirer and Mindanews.com.
But I got curious what’s all the fuss about Malu Fernandez that I went to surf ‘thepinoy.com’ immediately.
Like many Pinoys living abroad who have read her article “From Boracay to Greece”, I also found it downright arrogant, insensitive, and tasteless. But what the heck, we live in a “free country”, isn’t it? Freedom to express one’s opinion—no matter how stupid it maybe- is high up there on the human rights list for all citizens of the free world. All those reported death threats against her because of that piece made me cringed.
Frankly, Malu Fernandez's take on being trapped like sardines among Pinoy OFWs with their Axe/Charlie Colognes in a crowded economy class brought me a hearty laugh.
Lucky for her, I told myself, that she didn’t happen to sit beside me during that flight. At least those OFWs she was with were smelling of perfumes- no matter how cheap for her jet-setting standard.
I landed unwashed at the Mactan Airport after a 17-hour long flight and I must have stunk so bad (or at least for those who have ultra-sensitive noses) that my own mom who met me there complained, “you’re smelling, Jack!”. But good for me my brother came quick to reply on my behalf: “well, you should understand Mom, that Jack is now a European!”
Needless to say, my wife gave me a dagger I-told-you-so look for not washing myself in the plane. But honestly I didn’t want to go through that long line waiting for my turn in that tiny washroom. Obviously, we flew economy class, too.
But I digress.
After reading the Malu-OFW brouhaha, I found myself staring at the picture of Jim Paredes’ “Haring Liwanag” blog on the right side of thepinoy website. Oh, he got old, I said to myself. The last time I saw him “live” was 9 years ago or so when we were together attending a 3-day Sesshin in Tagaytay under our Japanese Roshi. I wondered if he’s still practicing Zen now that he’s in Sidney. I found his pieces well-written, some meditative, and some- yes, nostalgic.
They brought me to a nostalgic mood. Next I saw was Lea Salonga’s “The World According to Manang” blog. I remembered how I tried to get a ticket for her Ms. Saigon show in London many years back- in vain, even for a matinee. Oh, my she’s turned up to be a real beauty- a ripe one now.
By this time, I have totally forgotten Malu Fernandez--her column, her vandalized face in 'you tube', the pain and indignation she caused to OFWs.
On top of Lea’s blog was the Multiply toolbar with its now familiar blue-ish logo. Out of curiousity, I clicked and clicked my mouse and then when I clicked “Who is on Multiply” —surprise, surprise- who would have thought that on the screen would appear the name of my long-lost college buddy- Dave Llorito!
Thrilled, I immediatly sent him a post. He quickly replied and since then we've been exchanging punches in our blogs. Just like old times!
Albeit only one week old, the rest they say is now history. I have now my own blog “interim thoughts”. And by golly, am hooked on to it daily like crazy. Thanks to Dave, I found now Multiply buddies who welcomed me as if I'm a pro.
The phone rang. Ah, it was again Tina, my Dutch-Filipina friend. “Yes, I’ve already read Malou Fernandez' column…”, I hurried to reassure her.
But then she cut me off. “No, Jack! That’s old news now. Did you hear about the arrest of Joma in Utrecht?!”
Oh, boy, what awaits me this time at thepinoy.com?
17 Kommentare:
Those who are meant to meet will be brought together, Jack - even if the tool is a storm-in-a-teacup article.
Thank you, Malu what's-your-name. I never heard about you before, I haven't read you and don't intend to, but you've given me a friend. Your karma will be a little better because of that.
multiply is a great place...
Reading between the lines... he he.. I know what you mean Jack. LOL... Collective mass behaviour often amuses me ...
oh, this is a really nice piece jack. you should write features if you have time on how it is to live in europe.
if you are referring to the malu debate, well those are valid issues that need to be threshed out.
malu is history's gift to the pinoy expat. im sure that article caused a lot of thinking and rethinking.
"After reading the Malu-OFW brouhaha, I found myself staring on the picture of Jim Paredes’ “Haring Liwanag” blog on the right side of thepinoy website. Oh, he got old, I said to myself. The last time I saw him “live” was 9 years ago or so when we were together attending a 3-day Sesshin in Tagaytay under our Japanese Roshi. I wondered if he’s still practicing Zen now that he’s in Sidney. I found his pieces well-written, some meditative, and some- yes, nostalgic."
Jim has always been inclined to leave the country. he had american passport when edsa revolution happened. he got disillusioned and migrated to australia where i suppose he is happier.
but life has always been about the pursuit of happiness and jim has all the options to take that. and im happy for him. i got several chance to migrate but i always not acted on them for some reasons. but i feel happy for those who found happiness elsewhere. my view in this whole affair is all about choices.
hey bong, im intrigued... what's amusing about mass behavior?
this is sharp, Ulla! Yes, we should burn incense for her at the temple doors! It's such a pleasure to meet you here...
specially yours, tyler, specially yours...
that intrigued me, too, dave! hey, bong, transatlantic flights are now cheap and you don't have crying children if you leave for a long weekend. come over our place this fall and we can hop from one winery to another like those Sideways (the movie) fools. It's new wine season now, you know...
thanks, dave! blogging is a good way to practice my english, I found out. After 8 years here, my english grammar is now ridiculous. Ah, those pesky German prepositions, for instance, always assaulting my once pure pinoy but smooth english. I wonder how my former students in Ateneo would say when they read my pieces today. ha...ha...ha...
haha
From Malu to Tina to Dave to Tina to Joma.
The world is one loop.
And yeah, I once sat next to an Indian-Singaporean flight en route to Singapore and he smelled. Big time smell. I couldn't be rude since he was very conversant and nice and he loved the Philippines.. I sat still trying to hold my breath and wishing him not to move or raise his arms.
HI!am a good contact of Pat (Vitosum) and I live in Sasbach, a small village somewhere near Karlsruhe, Baden-Baden and Offenburg..yeap in Baden-Württemberg..my kids went to Heidelberg using this Sommer-Ferien-Ticket..so get in touch!I live inGermany for 17 years now.My daughter is almost 17 and my son is 13..am married to Arno, a German..ciao!
schön, dass Du zu meinem Blog gekommen bist! I also went to see your blog. It's nice to konw that there are Pinoys here having Multiply blogs. Would you like to be my contact? In Multiply and otherwise. We live not faraway from Karlsruhe, so maybe we can even meet...
Sus, pagkaulaw. Di pod ko ingon ana kabaho, oy, Dan! Sa tinuod lang, sa wa pa ko manaog sa edrong among gisakyan, gidaginot gyud nako ang akong Armani nga pahumot, gibubo sa akong kalawasan. Apan wa gyud ko'y dag-anan sa kusog nga panimhot sa akong pinalanggang Inahan!
Gihandum man gud tingali niya ang Johnson's Baby Powder nga kahumot sa iyang pinalanggang kanhi kinamanghuran...
yes! I have invited you already..there's a new guy from the PHils. here and residing at the moment in Karlsruhe. His name is Elmer, works for a computer firma.
Yes it would be indeed good to meet you.
my address is Lilienstr. 6, 77880 Sasbach and tel. no. is 07841-24773--my roots from my Mom's side is Cebuana..are you from Cebu?I was born in Manila, but we were often visited by our relatives then..
There are lots of visayans here in my place! Get in touch!
Kommentar veröffentlichen