off hand, i can only think of- aside from riesling, of course- müller thürgau and sylvanner, for the white. And dörnfelder, burgunder for the red. but there are a lot more... Are you also a wine lover? You are near Australia and I've heard that Australian Rieslings are fantastic!
yes, they tend to be very robust and exuberant, sometimes with mango, guava, and citrus notes. i kinda prefer the rich, spicy, unctuous pfalz riesling.
they're mostly second generation germans, dave, with roots coming from south-west germany, where I live. I remember about this WTO debate about whether they could use "riesling" as label to their wines, because "riesling" is supposedly only german. but, heck, as I've mentioned their progenies were german, so I couldn't really understand all this exclusivity of the use of certain terms. It's getting absurd to the point that some Germans (luckily only very very few) think that only the people of the north german city of Hamburg could use the word "hamburgers", in the same way that only Italians could use "parmesan" as label for a distinct kind of cheese from there. I'm digressing I know but this is a delicious topic...
as to the aussie riesling, Patricia, I've never tasted one but lucky for me a friend from sydney would next week drop by and she promised to bring a bottle for me. hmmm, i cannot wait to taste it...
then the mcdonalds and jollibees should start looking for words to be able to sell their "hamburgers", and we pinoys should start protecting our "tuba" and "lambanog" and the like. don't you think we're giving too much work to copyright and patent lawyers to process that? they're already rich enough! As to the French, well they always think they are special. But, hey, I know a wine farmer here producing german champagnes - okey, i should use "Sekt" so as not to offend our french neighbors! or what is that called in english? "sparkling wine?!- and they tasted a hell lot better than the one across the border. And cheaper, to boot.
It has something to do with marketing (and eventually money). Take "champagne" for example. It is a defined geographic area. If your vineyard happens to be outside the "boundary" even just 3 inches away, you are not allowed to label your product as "champagne". But I know you know this already. So others have to use other labels. Germans call it "sekt" and if im not wrong, it is called "sparkling wine" in the USA.
but isn't that the very reason why they're cheaper, because there's no exclusivity in their label? (i still like french champagne though, even if most of the time all i can afford is a bottle of asti).
aha, you also like it dry?! Got to ask my italian friends to bring me asti, quick! Or maybe it's really too sweet, that our friends themselves don't drink it. They've never offered me one yet.
i don't like it too dry either, but asti really tastes like champagne with about a tablespoon of sugar. it's a good dessert wine, i guess. and it doesn't scare off novice drinkers. haha. they warn you on the bottle though: delicatamente dolce. vido da dessert, e particolamente indicato con la pasticceria secca, le torte a base di crema e frutti esotici. -- from the empty bottle i rescued from our last dinner party.
Nice place... very beautiful, though personally I've always found the European countryside 'too still' for my taste (I'm hyperactive :)
I love Riesling :) and wine in general.
There's a good medium dry German sparkling wine which is a good alternative to the Moet's of this world (of course that's personal opinion), but the name escapes me right now. It's more neutral than Asti ...
yes, yes! it is also too remote for my taste. but great place for growing up kids. plenty of culture yet far away from the hussle and bustle of a metropolis like berlin or frankfurt. Yet, we're just two-hours away from paris, too. riesling is now in, i know. but for how long is the question.
Either you mean Mum or Rotkäppchen (gosh, I'm not even sure of the spelling now). The two are rather popular. We usually buy our wines local, but lucky for us "local" includes the vineyards of neighboring France. And that's the privilege of one who's living in a bordertown.
It's a great place Jack. It looks as if you'de feel healthy just by looking outside the window. It just reminds me so much of a place I stayed in (Geneve) ages ago. I stayed at a modest inn (and our Swiss secretary was so excited because it had a view of the fields on one side, and the lake on the other side). I was there for 4 days and I did not see ANYTHING move, nor did I hear a sound. There was no sign of life from my window. So you could just imagine the trauma :(
ha...ha... my friends in Cologne are teasing me, why I now live in PAMPAnga! It is a long story, but I believe this place chose us, not the other way around.
Hey, stop it! All this talk is making me damn thirsty. I didn't notice that I was drooling while reading all the above.:-) Lalaine - you're lucky that somehow, you can get by there in Dubai with a drink or two. Here in poor Q8, it's absolutely dry - unless you can afford the $150/- PER BOTTLE 1liter black label under the table - that is, if you can find it. As for wines, forget it cuz the price will surely gouge your eyes. Am not much of a wine person (beer makes my boat float) but I kinda liked the South African sauvignon blancs in Capetown. Easy on the taste buds. Btw, nice pix you got Jack! Why is it that wine estates are always surrounded by fabulous views no matter where they are?
well, Germany is also the country for you then, Al. their beers are almost next to none (the belgians and the Czechs would contest this that's why I need to qualify). Ah, there's nothing like a cold bottle of a wheat beer on a hot hot summer!
I really love ur last pose, "The Landlord", behind his owned vineyards,..hehe Did the Romans planted them like along the Moesel? Bring some bottles jack to holland para completo ang welcome evening. I will bring the one from river Ahr,let basco taste it., its the Northest vineyards in Europe (less sunshine), but the taste is so soft and light.,, perhaps not your taste and not of tims.
Autumn can only be beautiful on a nice sunny day. I always find the month of November very dull and depressing, esp after the change of time making my days shorter.
hello Jack, thank-you for joining my group. I use to live in Northern CA. Near the wine Country. I miss the view that you have in your back yard.Have a great week-end. N.J.
Tsadaha gud sa imong backyard Jack ...ha!ha!ha! Indeed, the German hills pag-autumn is terrific..the change of golden colours is awesome. My family loves to make bushwalking sa Eiffel or in the Mossel area when our time allows during autumn break. Treasurable views with castles sa backdrop. Naa man dinhi sab sa NL pero not so hilly kaysa diha.
71 Kommentare:
Ahh, how i miss these views.
Post ka uli pag nagka snow na...
Wait. Bottom right, snow ba yan?
brrrrr
my oh my! what a nice view. wow!
a vineyard?
yes, did you see napa valley? must be similar, only that the German Wine Road is older. Much older.
yeah, in california. i stayed in san jose longer but there are some vineyards nearby.
then come and visit us, we live not far away from Stuttgart
thanks, will post more the moment I master the ropes of this stuff
oh how i wish. but why not? never been to europe. heheh!
love the colors !
and the grape vines, too!
this is beautiful!
i really love the colors of the trees! *sigh* why do i live in a tropical country?
go visit germany! lol!
what kind of wines are produced in your area?
red, white, name what you like, but its mainly white
white or red, i love them all. lol!
so mainly riesling?
off hand, i can only think of- aside from riesling, of course- müller thürgau and sylvanner, for the white. And dörnfelder, burgunder for the red. but there are a lot more... Are you also a wine lover? You are near Australia and I've heard that Australian Rieslings are fantastic!
yes, they tend to be very robust and exuberant, sometimes with mango, guava, and citrus notes. i kinda prefer the rich, spicy, unctuous pfalz riesling.
what? I live in the pfalz, and yes, we do have delicious riesling much better i think than the one from alsace, which is just nearby our place
you do? wow! i agree, alsace rieslings tend to be dry and severe, unless they've been aged quite a bit.
that's true. especially after a younger generations of wine owners took over the wineries in southern australia. great place.
although i never pretend to know anything about wine. i just drink them as they come.. lol!
that's the best way to enjoy it! =)
they're mostly second generation germans, dave, with roots coming from south-west germany, where I live. I remember about this WTO debate about whether they could use "riesling" as label to their wines, because "riesling" is supposedly only german. but, heck, as I've mentioned their progenies were german, so I couldn't really understand all this exclusivity of the use of certain terms. It's getting absurd to the point that some Germans (luckily only very very few) think that only the people of the north german city of Hamburg could use the word "hamburgers", in the same way that only Italians could use "parmesan" as label for a distinct kind of cheese from there. I'm digressing I know but this is a delicious topic...
yes it is. =) well, if the french can do it with their wines, why not other countries?
as to the aussie riesling, Patricia, I've never tasted one but lucky for me a friend from sydney would next week drop by and she promised to bring a bottle for me. hmmm, i cannot wait to taste it...
then the mcdonalds and jollibees should start looking for words to be able to sell their "hamburgers", and we pinoys should start protecting our "tuba" and "lambanog" and the like. don't you think we're giving too much work to copyright and patent lawyers to process that? they're already rich enough! As to the French, well they always think they are special. But, hey, I know a wine farmer here producing german champagnes - okey, i should use "Sekt" so as not to offend our french neighbors! or what is that called in english? "sparkling wine?!- and they tasted a hell lot better than the one across the border. And cheaper, to boot.
It has something to do with marketing (and eventually money). Take "champagne" for example. It is a defined geographic area. If your vineyard happens to be outside the "boundary" even just 3 inches away, you are not allowed to label your product as "champagne". But I know you know this already. So others have to use other labels. Germans call it "sekt" and if im not wrong, it is called "sparkling wine" in the USA.
Opps. I did write that one above before I read your last post Jack... he he.
You are really becoming more and more of a european :)
no, you're the european between us two. you can't deny it, it's written all over your blog, esp. the one on orchestra LOL
but isn't that the very reason why they're cheaper, because there's no exclusivity in their label? (i still like french champagne though, even if most of the time all i can afford is a bottle of asti).
Asti??? What's that? You mean, the French Pastis??? I love that, too, but it is also hellova expensive!!!
asti, the italians' version of sparkling wine. a bit too sweet for my taste, but it's a tad more affordable than french champagne.
aha, you also like it dry?! Got to ask my italian friends to bring me asti, quick! Or maybe it's really too sweet, that our friends themselves don't drink it. They've never offered me one yet.
i don't like it too dry either, but asti really tastes like champagne with about a tablespoon of sugar. it's a good dessert wine, i guess. and it doesn't scare off novice drinkers. haha. they warn you on the bottle though: delicatamente dolce. vido da dessert, e particolamente indicato con la pasticceria secca, le torte a base di crema e frutti esotici. -- from the empty bottle i rescued from our last dinner party.
Nice place... very beautiful, though personally I've always found the European countryside 'too still' for my taste (I'm hyperactive :)
I love Riesling :) and wine in general.
There's a good medium dry German sparkling wine which is a good alternative to the Moet's of this world (of course that's personal opinion), but the name escapes me right now. It's more neutral than Asti ...
yes, yes! it is also too remote for my taste. but great place for growing up kids. plenty of culture yet far away from the hussle and bustle of a metropolis like berlin or frankfurt. Yet, we're just two-hours away from paris, too.
riesling is now in, i know. but for how long is the question.
Either you mean Mum or Rotkäppchen (gosh, I'm not even sure of the spelling now). The two are rather popular. We usually buy our wines local, but lucky for us "local" includes the vineyards of neighboring France. And that's the privilege of one who's living in a bordertown.
It's a great place Jack. It looks as if you'de feel healthy just by looking outside the window. It just reminds me so much of a place I stayed in (Geneve) ages ago. I stayed at a modest inn (and our Swiss secretary was so excited because it had a view of the fields on one side, and the lake on the other side). I was there for 4 days and I did not see ANYTHING move, nor did I hear a sound. There was no sign of life from my window. So you could just imagine the trauma :(
Hmmnn..., just can't seem to remember the name ...
BTW, you guys are lucky because it's freely available there and you must be spoiled for choice - I say that as wine fan living in a place like Dubai.
ha...ha... my friends in Cologne are teasing me, why I now live in PAMPAnga! It is a long story, but I believe this place chose us, not the other way around.
Hey, stop it! All this talk is making me damn thirsty. I didn't notice that I was drooling while reading all the above.:-) Lalaine - you're lucky that somehow, you can get by there in Dubai with a drink or two. Here in poor Q8, it's absolutely dry - unless you can afford the $150/- PER BOTTLE 1liter black label under the table - that is, if you can find it. As for wines, forget it cuz the price will surely gouge your eyes. Am not much of a wine person (beer makes my boat float) but I kinda liked the South African sauvignon blancs in Capetown. Easy on the taste buds. Btw, nice pix you got Jack! Why is it that wine estates are always surrounded by fabulous views no matter where they are?
well, Germany is also the country for you then, Al. their beers are almost next to none (the belgians and the Czechs would contest this that's why I need to qualify). Ah, there's nothing like a cold bottle of a wheat beer on a hot hot summer!
WOW! MURAG TUGNAW GUD KAAYO DINHA!
Ciao Jack,
Good shots, but I better have them bottled and ready to serve, too!
marlou
http://pinayskaleidoscope.blogspot.com
ha...ha lasingga! Nice to know you dropped by, Lady Marylou ;-)
hunk of germany...hahahah
ha...ha... salamat, kabayan! you make me vain, vain, vain. Btw, your sister hasn't called me yet.
Backyard? it looks like your plantation in Bukidnon Jack.
I really love ur last pose, "The Landlord", behind his owned vineyards,..hehe Did the Romans planted them like along the Moesel? Bring some bottles jack to holland para completo ang welcome evening.
I will bring the one from river Ahr,let basco taste it., its the Northest vineyards in Europe (less sunshine), but the taste is so soft and light.,, perhaps not your taste and not of tims.
damn... now thats some backyard lol :D
Nice place you have. My friend Katrin Muller de Guia hails from nearby German county.
naks...pede ding..DA STUD of Germany. hrhhrhrhrhr
where exactly?
papasa na ba sa Full Monty, meow? LOLS
he...he... sorry to disappoint you, 'day, but I don't own my 'backyard' nor that plantation in Bukidnon.
give me ur email add ur yahoo messenger....hehehhe...at least
:)) so good cared...will look good on summer...:)
tnanks for dropinng by.......
Autumn can only be beautiful on a nice sunny day. I always find the month of November very dull and depressing, esp after the change of time making my days shorter.
Nice picture you have here!!!
you know we're the same. I used to be depressed when autumn comes :-) but now I enjoy it actually. just love the colors.
yes, but then the place is then full of tourists :-)
don't mention it, dante! I like your paintings... I wonder if you'll have an exhibit here in Europe, too.
oh, i have nothing to say. sinabi na nilang lahat...hehehe! here's one thing, great shots! enjoy your life out there! God bless you.
wo ist das
hello Jack, thank-you for joining my group. I use to live in Northern CA. Near the wine Country. I miss the view that you have in your back yard.Have a great week-end. N.J.
miss u uncle jack... whatta a great view. such an amazing place.
miss you, too, Lileth! I hope you're doing well...
Tsadaha gud sa imong backyard Jack ...ha!ha!ha!
Indeed, the German hills pag-autumn is terrific..the change of golden colours is awesome. My family loves to make bushwalking sa Eiffel or in the Mossel area when our time allows during autumn break. Treasurable views with castles sa backdrop. Naa man dinhi sab sa NL pero not so hilly kaysa diha.
Kommentar veröffentlichen